• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

backagain1

I've been playing guitar for past 3 or 4 years and I'm just now getting back into bass, playing my SR-5. After sitting in the basement for 4 years, the roundwound EB strings I had on the bass were quite dead. I knew I wanted to go back to flatwound, so I put on my last set of Ernie Ball 2810 Flatwounds... Man, those things sound GREAT on my SR-5.

So I went to order my next set of EB flatwound replacement strings, and I see that there are now several other choices that weren't available 5 years ago. I see the Ernie Ball 2810 Flatwounds are still available. I see there are also now "Ernie Ball P02816 Slinky Flatwound 5-String Bass Strings". Further, I see there are also "Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 5-String Flatwound Cobalt Electric Bass Strings" available. Is that something different, or are these last 2 choices the same?

What's the difference in the sound of these strings? Which do you like best?

Thanks,

backagain1

bovinehost

Administrator
I've been using EB Flats for a long time now. Once the Cobalt Flats became available, I decided - why not?

And now all of my basses are being converted to the Cobalts, slowly but surely.

The Cobalts give you options. If you want the thump of flats without the zing, you can tame them with the EQ on your Stingray5. But if you want the full tonal range and top end bite of a round, they can do that, too - while still feeling like flats.

I absolutely love these Cobalt Flats.

backagain1

I've been using EB Flats for a long time now. Once the Cobalt Flats became available, I decided - why not?

The Cobalts give you options. If you want the thump of flats without the zing, you can tame them with the EQ on your Stingray5. But if you want the full tonal range and top end bite of a round, they can do that, too - while still feeling like flats.

Are you referring to this model: Ernie Ball 2816 Slinky Flatwound Electric Bass Guitar Strings?

Thanks for your help.

backagain1

GregP

I play Cobalt Flatwounds(.40 -.95) exclusively and I couldn't be happier with them. I get the solid low end of a flat wound with the silky and well balanced highs of a broken in nickel roundwound string. I mean...what's not to like?! :)

Last edited:

backagain1

You convinced me... I just ordered a set of the Ernie Ball 2816 Cobalt Flats. Now I'll just have to wait until the regular Ernie Ball Flatwound strings that I just put on "wear out." :)

Holdsg

regular EB flats = fantastic vintage tone
cobalt EB flats = fantastic vintage (with EQ) and modern tones

choice is a good thing

GregP

How is the tension on the Cobolt flats 40-95. Are they similar to the regular group IV’s?

Unfortunately, I've never played the group IV's. However I can tell you this is the best sounding and feeling string I've ever played. The big seller for me is the combination of bright balanced tone AND consistency. I've played great sounding roundwounds like DR Pure Blues... but that amazing tone dies so quickly. With the Cobalts you only lose a little treble and then the tone just sticks around :)

bovinehost

Administrator
I like the Group IVs although I was mostly a Group 2 guy.

The Cobalts are just another thing altogether. I'd say medium tension because they're not floppy like TI JFs and not cables like some of those LaBellas. They sit nicely in the middle of all that.

Holdsg

agree with Cowpilot-man....nice mid-range tension, moreso than Tis, less so than Chromes. perfect tension for the music I play (ranges from modern country pop to classic rock).

Top Bottom