• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

What should DrKev do? (multiple answers allowed)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I'm on the point of pulling the trigger on a new baby.

Thinking Silhouette Special again, even if I'm stuck to white or black and even if I'll end up putting Area singles in straight away ('cause I love 'em).

BUT,

The more I look at the Cutlass RS HSS, the it's hard to say no. Even though the body/pickguard/big dots/longer headstock are not taste, even though I'd rather keep flying the Silhouette Special flag (because it's THE true modern classic), but Jason Richardson's 7 string Cutlass made me sit up and take more notice and the roasted neck and stainless frets are big pull.

But then again, the Al HH looks preetty cool too.

Help me decide!!

Last edited:

beej

Can I vote LIII? Ha ha.

I voted Cutlass. You already have a Silhouette Special that's amazing. Try something different. And the modern features (buffer, boost, SS frets) are a huge plus.

TripHazard

Hard choice to make, as i have a cutlass and an AL HH, i'd say those two are quite different form each other. If you want more SS kind of area, go Cutlass, even though i know its different, its not as different as AL HH. The AL HH is an awesome guitar though - My No1

GWDavis28

DrKev, I totally hear you about the Cutlass and even the StingRay, they are appealing, but the longer headstock bothers me as well. Same goes for the larger dots.

I'd think the AL HH would be a great option from the Silo Special myself. I've got both and love them both very much.

There is something that you are not thinking of either. August is coming and that means a new BFR, there is the possibility to get another Silo Special in a different color (maybe) and or configuration, just a thought.

Good luck with the decision, I'll be watching, I'm very curious about what you end up doing.

Glenn |B)

DrKev

Wow, responses already! KEEP 'EM COMING! And thank you!

Can I vote LIII? Ha ha.

I voted Cutlass. You already have a Silhouette Special that's amazing. Try something different. And the modern features (buffer, boost, SS frets) are a huge plus.

Luke III was next on my list actually but I have to start limiting options to make a decision. :)

Hard choice to make, as i have a cutlass and an AL HH, i'd say those two are quite different form each other. If you want more SS kind of area, go Cutlass, even though i know its different, its not as different as AL HH. The AL HH is an awesome guitar though - My No1

Yeah, see I'm just a neck single coil kinda guy, which is exactly why I might just need a HH guitar. Hence the AL on my list.

There is something that you are not thinking of either. August is coming and that means a new BFR

I'm not waiting to see what'll happen in August. Thing is I'm travelling soon, and I'll eventually be in Buffalo for 6 weeks and I won't be able to bring my Silo Special from Paris. So, I may be looking for a quick trigger pull too. Which may decide everything for me. We'll see.

mikeller

DrKev - I am in the Cutlass RS camp as well. That humbucker blends so well with the SS and the guitar is a pure joy to play, to the point of note even noticing the bigger dots and longer headstock. But you certainly can't go wrong with any of your choices (or a L3 !!!)

Good luck

GWDavis28

I'm not waiting to see what'll happen in August. Thing is I'm travelling soon, and I'll eventually be in Buffalo for 6 weeks and I won't be able to bring my Silo Special from Paris. So, I may be looking for a quick trigger pull too. Which may decide everything for me. We'll see.

Ah, so are there places you have been scouting for guitars? you know Dublado ain't more than a days ride from Buffalo, just saying.

Whatcha leaning towards?

Glenn |B)

vuduhwy

I vote Cutlass. I went into GC and sat down with one and played it for about 1.5 minutes and then quickly hung it up and exited the facility. Betcha can't guess why?

DrKev

I vote Cutlass. I went into GC and sat down with one and played it for about 1.5 minutes and then quickly hung it up and exited the facility. Betcha can't guess why?

Left your wallet in the car?

Wow. Look at that poll. I'm actually a little sad for the Silo special, which just makes me want it more. But that Cutlass must be doing some great things.

Keep the answers coming, I'm really interested in as many opinions and responses as possible.

Thank you all!

mikeller

DrKev - even though I voted Cutlass, I agree, kinda sad for the Silo Special which is a way under appreciated guitar. MM is making so many great great models!!!! Need one of all!!!! Cheers

Stratty316

I vote HH AL.

I have a Silo Spec and a HHAL and between the two of them they cover a lot of ground. However, the feel of the HHAL's Rosewood neck is out of this world. Roasted maple is nice and easily my 2nd favorite wood choice, but there is nothing like the feel of solid Rosewood AND Due to CITES who knows if and when it will go away? Grab one while you can... you won't regret it.

I'd still vote HHAL if they changed it to a roasted maple neck, overall its an amazing guitar

GWDavis28

I vote HH AL.

I have a Silo Spec and a HHAL and between the two of them they cover a lot of ground. However, the feel of the HHAL's Rosewood neck is out of this world. Roasted maple is nice and easily my 2nd favorite wood choice, but there is nothing like the feel of solid Rosewood AND Due to CITES who knows if and when it will go away? Grab one while you can... you won't regret it.

I'd still vote HHAL if they changed it to a roasted maple neck, overall its an amazing guitar

I agree with you Stratty, the AL HH and the Silo Special are quite the pair together and do cover a lot.

Hahahahaha, I voted for all, as you aren't gonna go wrong with any of them. Since you've already got a Silo Special and you can always snag a used one at a great deal, try something different.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom