• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Edmang

Know the original 4 H did not have a 3 way switch. But just wondering why with the redesign it was not added to the 4H? Always feel the 4 H is missing something because of that. Was it considered doing as part of the redesign process? If it was, why wasn't it added? Would have been good timing to do that.

Golem

`

No dummy coil.

OTOH if you really want coil
switching, just get the HS.

Admittedly I have not looked
at the new stuff. So I'm only
guessing/hoping that the HS
is still in the line :)

Last edited:

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
`

No dummy coil.

Unfortunately just H and HH with the SR Specials. Can't speak for the design team re: 3-way switch but I don't see a point. General audience doesn't care about coil splitting on a bass.

Edmang

`

No dummy coil.

Well the 5H has the switching. But is not single coil, middle position is filter.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Well the 5H has the switching. But is not single coil, middle position is filter.

Yeah but imo the SR5 really is kind of its own beast, not just an SR with another string. I think it would also be considered blasphemy to BP. ie 'If Leo didn't want a switch then it doesn't need one.'

tbonesullivan

Honestly.. I have a SR5H and rarely use the switch. If it was a 5HS that would be a different story. The whole bass and preamp is really designed to work with that pickup in the standard parallel configuration. There's been great success with the classic series which don't have any type of switching either. They just sound great. The EQ is great. You can get so much with just that EQ.

GregP

I absolutely love the 3 way on my EBMM Sterling. In series I get higher output with a nice low mid bump, in parrallel I get a smooth scooped sound, and in SC I get pristine crispiness :)

All that being said...there are issues to consider. For example, when I'm in parrallel I increase the mids to make up for the scoop. I find this yields a smooth balanced tone. When I switch to single coil it still sounds great just more focused. However, when I go to series the midrange becomes too pronounced for my liking. So I think there is something to be said for ommiting the switch and making all changes through the EQ only.

P.S. I hope we get the SLO option in the future. :) :) :)

Last edited:

delberthot

I suppose it would have been good to have the option of series or parallel - I only ever use series on my Sterling and would have liked to have had that on the Stingrays I've owned in the past.

danny-79

Yeah but imo the SR5 really is kind of its own beast, not just an SR with another string. I think it would also be considered blasphemy to BP. ie 'If Leo didn't want a switch then it doesn't need one.'

If Leo wanted 5 strings on a bass he would of designed it that way but he based his new creation on electrifying an upright?
That’s my trail of though. Everything after that is refinement.
But seriously, the only time having a series/parallel option has been any advantage to me has been in a recording situation regardless of string numbers

Top Bottom