• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Hey again! New blog time, since we dropped the new SR Special line we decided it had so many changes that we should cover it in a series of articles highlighting what makes the SRS so, well, special. You can read the blog post here

But also worth checking out are our new videos on the SRS, we got Sterling, Tony Levin, Mike Herrera and Stefan Lessard to walk you through some of the changes as well. Personally I really enjoyed Tony Levin going over all those Peter Gabriel lines, I never realized how much I want a bass octave pedal until watching it.

If you guys have any questions thoughts or gripes about the new SRS preamp then this is the best place to discuss it!

Fretfree

Hey, Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a couple of questions about the new Ray's.

A. Is there an unlined Fretless option coming?

B. What are the chances or options for a finish other than glossy? A thin, flat finish, or even nitro.

Brosi

Hey Guys,

I need some informations from you - Does the new special Ray cut through the mix as good as a classic for example?

i read that the preamp was revoiced and that the Bass due to the revoicing isnt as harsh as the older models.

i am a bit afraid that the newer models wont cut through the mix as the old ones? specially in the higher mids?

Some help?

bovinehost

Administrator
I wish I could give you some insight but my plans to purchase a new SR5 Special have been thwarted by events beyond my control. Someone will chime in soon enough, but my take is Tony Levin wouldn't play a bass that didn't sit well in the mix.

He stays busy!

Rebos

Got my new SR5 Special HH about 3 months ago and it is killer from looks,tone, playability and weight. It fits like a glove the sweetest in my stable.

briangordondc

I want a Stingray Special in Classic Natural but I'm being told they are unavailable till August. Anyone know the reason for that? Every other color is available now.

DrMatthewCross

Yesterday I took my Special to rehearsals again. No pedalboard, no effects, nothing, just the bass and a clip on tuner. The room was new and I didn't know the amp at all (an Ampeg BA series), so I just set everything at noon on both the amp and the bass. I did just some minor adjustments on the bass between songs and it sounded stellar.
This bass has a real clear, present, muscular tone that allows me play softer and be heard very well in the mix. For the New Wave project we are doing at the moment, this thing is absolutely stellar.

newmexicogreen

Just got my SR5H in all black w/burned maple fretboard. Cuts through the mix nicely. Lighter than my Fender Jazz. Plays very well. Love it!

jazzyitalian

I recall about 15 or 16 years ago when EB made a slew of standard red stingrays with just a two band passive eq. They had them listed for $799 on Musicians Freind and Music123. Not buying one at the time was my big mistake.

Geri O

I have a Special 5 and stage or studio, it cuts through the so-called mix just fine.

It’s interesting to me how the “mix” is never quite defined.

mynan

I have a Special 5 and stage or studio, it cuts through the so-called mix just fine.

It’s interesting to me how the “mix” is never quite defined.
The mix is the combination of all the instruments/vocals. Depending on who is mixing at the console, whether it be live or in a studio, there is going to be more volume or less volume given to each instrument/vocal in order to add or remove presence in the mix. So the mix is subjective, based on who is doing the mixing, but an instrument that cuts through the mix is one that doesn't need a lot of volume to have presence.

mynan

Sorry, my English is not good.
I'm really looking forward to a special edition SR5
The wait is over.

1701353421618.png

Top Bottom