• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

metro-4U

I am looking at getting a Musicman Stingray EX from Japan and I have read that they are made of USA Musicman parts put together in Japan.

This is a maybe 2010 with a fitted body (not a slab), no string-through bridge/no mutes and 3 ban eq.

My question is if this is true that it is the same woods, hardware and especially is it the same pick-up and electronics as a USA EB Musicman.

Attachments

• Musicman Stingray Japan Ffb a.jpg
    Musicman Stingray Japan Ffb a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Musicman Stingray Japan cont a.jpg
    Musicman Stingray Japan cont a.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 547
  • Musicman Stingray Japan Fhs a.jpg
    Musicman Stingray Japan Fhs a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 407

Dannibahia

Serial Musicam Ex Japão

I am looking at getting a Musicman Stingray EX from Japan and I have read that they are made of USA Musicman parts put together in Japan.

This is a maybe 2010 with a fitted body (not a slab), no string-through bridge/no mutes and 3 ban eq.

My question is if this is true that it is the same woods, hardware and especially is it the same pick-up and electronics as a USA EB Musicman.

Olá anigo tudo bem? Entrei aqui por que tho um musicman Japão e não sei como pesquisar o número de série dele... vc pode me ajudar ou, sabe quem, site para pesquisar? Grato, Daniel.

Last edited:

mouth

I have a Stingray EX 3 bander, late 90s. Yes, it's the same original hardware, electronics and pickups. They made the bodies and necks in Japan, finished them and put the original EBMM guts on them. Great basses, there's a certain mojo about them, but they're basically EBMM Stingrays, but not identical (the back of the neck where it goes in the pocket is slightly different and the finish is slightly different - their maple fretboard necks all have finish on the front of the neck, while keeping oil&wax on the back).

Also, that's not 2010, I don't think they made them after like 2003, you can tell by the old pickup pole pieces which aren't rounded/bevelled. EBMM introduced bevelled pole pieces in mid 2003 and I don't think I've seen a single EX with the newer pickup/preamp combo. They all have the 90s genes/mojo about them.

tbonesullivan

If the EX basses were made from U.S.-made parts, did they also get the usual stamped dates and information inside the neck pocket? That might be one way to find more information.

mouth

If the EX basses were made from U.S.-made parts, did they also get the usual stamped dates and information inside the neck pocket? That might be one way to find more information.

They have stamped numbers inside the pocket and on the neck, but it's not DOB. EBMM cannot give you any information about them as they don't have them in their database, unfortunately.

Top Bottom