• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

davidclayson

Any thoughts on why this isn’t a thing? Been out the loop a little while with the SBMM stuff so forgive me if this has already been answered. Would love a MM um, “single cutaway” type without the slightly too out of reach for me, price tag...

GWDavis28

I would think since it a neck thru that the cost wouldn't be cost effective to make in the end. Or maybe it would cause the EBMM model to loose it's appeal. These are just my thoughts.

But along the same lines you can ask, why no Steve Morse? They just came out with the SBMM AL and those that have it here really like them, so that's a total hit from my point of view and it gets AL's out in the hands of player whom might not be able to afford the full up EBMM.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

jones4tone

Based on what Dargin said about the future of the EBMM Armada, I wouldn't expect to see SBMM put one out. Back in January, I think, he spoke as though the Armada was almost eliminated from the product line for 2018.

With the apparent success of the Cutlass, I wonder if we might see a similar approach taken to a new model intended to get closer to the LP look and feel in a masterfully-built, modern guitar?

Kinjin

Based on what Dargin said about the future of the EBMM Armada, I wouldn't expect to see SBMM put one out. Back in January, I think, he spoke as though the Armada was almost eliminated from the product line for 2018.

That is a shame, this looks like a stellar guitar; yet another that I have *never* seen in a store... :(

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
>Music Man builds instrument
>"UGH NO! WEIRD BODY SMALL HEAD ITS NOT A STRAT OR LP"

>PRS builds instrument
>"PFFT. ITS JUST A STRAT!"

Sometimes you just can't win. Armada should have blown away all the blues daddies and bald ponytail crowd imo.

jones4tone

>Armada should have blown away all the blues daddies and bald ponytail crowd imo.

Just building awareness among that crowd for a guitar that's not easy to run across in stores is a challenge. I'm glad I'm just buying and playing them, and not trying to conceive/choose designs to put out in the market! :)

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
Just building awareness among that crowd for a guitar that's not easy to run across in stores is a challenge. I'm glad I'm just buying and playing them, and not trying to conceive/choose designs to put out in the market! :)

I'd better be more careful because every guitar company needs the bald ponytail crowd. The joke never gets old, though, can't help myself.

Your point is absolutely valid, so so many MM converts are made through being able to actually manhandle an instrument in a store. The real pros keep telling me that 'you cannot understate the value of the retail experience'. It's why I still go to Best Buy before I really decide on my new TV every couple of years.

Back to the Armada: No SBMM Armada is in the works as far as I know. However, I'm strategically kept in the dark about a lot.

jones4tone

Your point is absolutely valid, so so many MM converts are made through being able to actually manhandle an instrument in a store. The real pros keep telling me that 'you cannot understate the value of the retail experience'. It's why I still go to Best Buy before I really decide on my new TV every couple of years.

This is absolutely true. I was introduced to the brand by seeing a demo video, which was the first time I'd ever seen an electric guitar with piezo saddles. (Yes, I did live under a rock!) That demo video left me intrigued. Playing my first EBMM in a store, and seeing the exquisite wood grain and fine craftsmanship, left me positively obsessed!

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
This is absolutely true. I was introduced to the brand by seeing a demo video, which was the first time I'd ever seen an electric guitar with piezo saddles. (Yes, I did live under a rock!) That demo video left me intrigued. Playing my first EBMM in a store, and seeing the exquisite wood grain and fine craftsmanship, left me positively obsessed!

Well another thing that might have helped was that you didn't see someone at the company flippantly insult your demographic while you were researching them. That's why I gotta watch out with the jokes around here. I think we've come to the real answer to our problems though: we need more EBMM's in more stores.

agt

When I first saw photos of the Armada, I definitely liked it, but not enough to order one sight unseen. About a year later, I came across one in a Guitar Center. I was an Armada owner shortly thereafter.

TripHazard

Well another thing that might have helped was that you didn't see someone at the company flippantly insult your demographic while you were researching them. That's why I gotta watch out with the jokes around here. I think we've come to the real answer to our problems though: we need more EBMM's in more stores.

Don't worry - to be part of the bald ponytail crowd you HAVE to have a good sense of humour :)

Kinjin

we need more EBMM's in more stores.

This! Honestly my wife and I would likely own twice the number of EBMM's we currently do if we could see them in a store. Specifically on the Armada, I'm in love with it, wife wants to see/feel/try one before committing... when I find out stores have any EBMM stock within an hour or so drive, we go that day to check them out. I've got friends at stores that know to call us when/if they get in anything EBMM, new or used.

(if a certain Sam Ash in Sarasota, FL were to get in an EBMM Armada, in say, Balboa Burst Blue, with a build code something like 750-Y4-20-00, we would be there that day with about a 98% chance of it coming home with us that night)

Last edited:

PeteDuBaldo

That would be interesting to see, and if I had to guess it would most likely be manufactured as a set neck (similar to the SBMM Majesty) and not a neck-through like the EBMM versions.

How about a stealth black sbmm version? :eek:

spychocyco

we need more EBMM's in more stores.

Definitely this. I've been actively seeking them out when I'm traveling, but I've mostly been striking out. The Chapman video really made me want a blue Armada. I'd love to be able to try one out.

davidclayson

Thanks for the replies everyone, I suppose the manufacturing costs would have a bit of an effect as some have said and especially for a guitar which in its original form is not (unfortunately and undeservingly so) as popular as some of the others out there.

Though looks like there would be some market out there for it if the consensus of this thread was anything to go by ;) fingers crossed for someday!

RichieZ

(if a certain Sam Ash in Sarasota, FL were to get in an EBMM Armada, in say, Balboa Burst Blue, with a build code something like 750-Y4-20-00, we would be there that day with about a 98% chance of it coming home with us that night)

Sam Ash in Margate is the only dealer in South Florida that I ever see EBMM's in. They actually had quite a few on my last visit, but no Armada. I bought a Valentine two years ago without seeing one in person... still hadn't come across one in a store until Sam Ash got one a few weeks back.

sedawkgrep

Necro bump - the problem with the Armada IMO is the lack of a second volume + tone. They took everything that makes a Les Paul a Les Paul (pretty much) except the dual controls... and created the Armada.

Top Bottom