• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nervous

Well, it's fun making my return the the MM fold, but this time on the guitar side. Of the many that I gave owned over the years this is is actually my first EBMM guitar! I have owned some great MM bases (Dargie 1, piezo fretless, Stingray 5's) so I am no stranger to the brand or the forum. It started off with a perceived need for a Floyd Rose equipped electric because I currently have no trem guitars and I have a short memory for what a PITA they can be... So I went shopping. My main focus was on an older Carvin but I kept seeing the Axis, the full irresistible candy store of colors and styles. Did some research and thought the base Axis model would suit me. Since I am regularly playing my current fave thinline Cabronita the single vol/single switch was right up my alley. And even the size and styling were complementary. Then this one showed up. For all purposes it's brand new. Just a beautiful piece in every way and while I didn't need the tone and single coil options I guess there's no harm in having them there. I currently prefer three way switching to five way but I am sure I'll adjust. It needed little in the way of set up, Just the trem was horribly set. I actually thought the previous owner was going for full float but in reality the bridge pivot screws felt like they had never been touched. Just has the claw tension way too loose and the rear of the bridge was well off the deck. A little research ad a few minutes has it back to factory new spec and it's great. On a side note, kudos to EBMM for actually using a proper screw to secure the strap buttons. This is the first guitar that I will not have to fuss with drilling a larger hole and fitting a longer screw to mount my Schaller lock buttons. It's also the first one that will not require any fret end dressing or fret fussing in general. To me this level of detail shows a respect for the working player, even if only a weekend warrior. Thank you. As it looks right now this may also be the first guitar that I will do nothing to besides the strap buttons and that's saying something because I am an endless and restless tweaker. There's nothing that I can yet find that plants the seeds of thought that I need to fix or change this or that. Fabulous! Color was listed as 'Trans Gold' but all the trans gold I have seen look more yellow or bright. Is it possible that's trans orange? I am happy whatever it is but curious to be sure.

Without any further adieu:

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 156
  • kralciyyxgrvyd30etrn.jpg
    kralciyyxgrvyd30etrn.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 145

Rikster

Congratulations !!! That is a beautiful guitar. I hear what you’re saying about the color. I have two guitars with that finish and it just pops. More like a Trans Amber. I’m waiting on my first EBMM to arrive. Been playing for decades and I’ve only recently tried a Sterling By MM Axis. I was really surprised at the feel, ergonomics, playability for its price point. I can only imagine the build quality of the American made Music Mans. Enjoy your new guitar !

Rich

Tollywood

What a nicely flamed top. I love the guitar. You will be thrilled with the Axis. To me and many others, it's the perfect guitar.

Enjoy!

I like to set up the tremolo to float, like ebmm does with the Luke III. You should consider that adjustment if you like a floating tremolo.

nervous

Thanks all. I got a chance to try this in the band situation this morning, with practice gear and will really run it through it's paces Thursday at a show. It really was instantly fabulous. I have had guitars that I have to work or fight notes out of, that just don't give you the hard to describe interactivity between hands and ears but from the start this one just sings. It surprised me. When done I handed it to our other guitar player who normally plays some high end USA Strat and doing nothing more than plugging in and playing this one just sounded noticeably better in every way. Drummer and bass player couldn't help but comment. Pickups are really good for what I do. And thankfully my dive only, return to factory spec bridge setup was spot on and it trems and dives fine and returns to tune. That was a relief and I can easily live with dive only for that sort of stability and usability.

The one thing I will have to get used to is the quick fall away in the volume pot. The taper seems very abrupt after the first small bit of turning down. Almost an odd on/off switching feel but not really off, just a noticeable reduction. I thought it would be a bit more gradual but this one drops fast. Assuming that normal?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The one thing I will have to get used to is the quick fall away in the volume pot. The taper seems very abrupt after the first small bit of turning down. Almost an odd on/off switching feel but not really off, just a noticeable reduction. I thought it would be a bit more gradual but this one drops fast. Assuming that normal?

If you have a treble bleed mod with a parallel resistor installed on other guitars, an un-modded volume pot will seem to drop away a lot faster. Could that be it?

nervous

You... you are good! That me be the case exactly. Every guitar I have had in recent memory got the treble bleed as you describe installed and looks like it may be the only mod I make to this one now that you mention it. Certainly easy enough to test. Thank you as I would not have known that.

Top Bottom