• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tx_Greg

So I'm a 40+ year player and I've been fortunate to own a lot of cool guitars. In the late 90's I bought a Silo at a GC in Dallas marked down to about $500. Really loved the neck on that one. But it got away in the very early 2000s. Even though I'm old and all grown-up, my fingers are pretty darn stubby and short...which is why I really loved the Silo. Effortless, no fatigue.

So I'm looking for an EB. I'm very interested in the AL, (play mostly country and blues), but wondered if any of you folks could talk to me about neck profiles on that guitar as compared to a Silo.

I usually hate new guys that use their first post for a question...well, I used to...now I think their just fine!

Anyways, if anyone has any info/advice I'm happy to hear it. Thanks for having me!

Greg

jones4tone

Howdy, and welcome to the forum, Greg! There are a number of AL aficionados who will be along soon to answer your question about the neck profile on that one. (And they'll tell you how intelligent you are to be considering this move, etc.) It's a model I don't have much exposure to, so I'll leave it for those who do.

Texas forever!

Tx_Greg

Howdy, and welcome to the forum, Greg! There are a number of AL aficionados who will be along soon to answer your question about the neck profile on that one. (And they'll tell you how intelligent you are to be considering this move, etc.) It's a model I don't have much exposure to, so I'll leave it for those who do.

Texas forever!

Thanks for the welcome. Full disclosure, I'm a bit intrigued by the Valentine, and see you seem to like that model. EBMM has some fantastic options!

jones4tone

Thanks for the welcome. Full disclosure, I'm a bit intrigued by the Valentine, and see you seem to like that model. EBMM has some fantastic options!

Yes, the Valentine, too, is a great guitar, and a wonderful body design imo. Absolutely worthy of a look for a country and blues player, with it's tele-style bridge PU and 335-inspired humbucker. If you can find a Trans-Maroon model from the original run, I think it's one of the more under appreciated finishes. Hard to photograph, but just gorgeous in person.

Magic Jason

Howdy Greg, welcome to the forum.

You asked for information on the AL model... I'll try to help you.

Short version: it is the greatest axe in the world.

Long version: the AL model features a small and perfectly balanced body and a classical C-shaped neck that will remind you of a strat, only much more comfortable to play.
I too have short sausages as fingers and this is the best neck I've played (with the Luke III). The neck is slightly rounder than on the Silo I once owned, if my memory serves me right.

Over the ages the AL model was offered in various pickups combinations.

1) 3 singles: perfect mix between a strat and a tele with it's very own personality. Albert Lee's favourite.

2) 2 humbuckers : mix between a Les Paul and an SG, sounds glorious in every (5) position and is ultimately versatile. (There even was a GC limited-run with the coil split option, easy to spot with their chrome knobs) The AL HH has an all-rosewood neck that makes it "sweet", in a good way. I mean that this is a rock guitar that LOVES gain; it will have balls and punch without being "aggressive".

3) 3 P90's : or mm90's I originally bought this one because I wanted the entire family. It took me a while to educate my ears but it is my favourite one now. They aren't produced anymore but please, if you can try one, go for it, they are just fabulous instruments. Rosewood or mapple neck.

The AL body shape is original. It's a guitar you love or hate. If you ask me : it has unlimited MOJO!!!!

PS : There is a facebok group for MM AL lovers. Feel welcome to join us!

PPS: I've tried the Valentine. Great axe, fabulous neck, great pickups but it didn't turn me on. At all. You just FEEL you are a cool guy when you play an AL. :):):):):):):)

Last edited:

Tx_Greg

Howdy Greg, welcome to the forum.

You asked for information on the AL model... I'll try to help you.

Short version: it is the greatest axe in the world.

Long version: the AL model features a small and perfectly balanced body and a classical C-shaped neck that will remind you of a strat, only much more comfortable to play.
I too have short sausages as fingers and this is the best neck I've played (with the Luke III). The neck is slightly rounder than on the Silo I once owned, if my memory serves me right.

Over the ages the AL model was offered in various pickups combinations.

1) 3 singles: perfect mix between a strat and a tele with it's very own personality. Albert Lee's favourite.

2) 2 humbuckers : mix between a Les Paul and an SG, sounds glorious in every (5) position and is ultimately versatile. (There even was a GC limited-run with the coil split option, easy to spot with their chrome knobs) The AL HH has an all-rosewood neck that makes it "sweet", in a good way. I mean that this is a rock guitar that LOVES gain; it will have balls and punch without being "aggressive".

3) 3 P90's : or mm90's I originally bought this one because I wanted the entire family. It took me a while to educate my ears but it is my favourite one now. They aren't produced anymore but please, if you can try one, go for it, they are just fabulous instruments. Rosewood or mapple neck.

The AL body shape is original. It's a guitar you love or hate. If you ask me : it has unlimited MOJO!!!!

PS : There is a facebok group for MM AL lovers. Feel welcome to join us!

PPS: I've tried the Valentine. Great axe, fabulous neck, great pickups but it didn't turn me on. At all. You just FEEL you are a cool guy when you play an AL. :):):):):):):)

Thanks MJ! Good info, and there's no denying the cool factor of the AL...both the man and the axe. I have found there is a dire shortage of new ALs available though. I may have to go the used route if that's the way I end up going. Appreciate the welcome and I will check out the FB page!

spychocyco

Not really a country guitar, but the Axis models have a fantastic neck for short, stubby fingers. I should know. :) If you can find a used Sport model or an MM90 version, it might be better suited for your style than the humbucker versions. I've heard the AL neck compared favorably to the Axis here, but sadly haven't had a chance to try out the AL.

Tx_Greg

Not really a country guitar, but the Axis models have a fantastic neck for short, stubby fingers. I should know. :) If you can find a used Sport model or an MM90 version, it might be better suited for your style than the humbucker versions. I've heard the AL neck compared favorably to the Axis here, but sadly haven't had a chance to try out the AL.

I LOVE the Axis necks. I've played several, but never owned one for the reasons you mention. Back in about 1998 or so I also (on impulse in a music store) bought a Peavey Wolfgang stoptail. For one reason...the neck. Most comfortable thing I'd ever played. I kept that guitar for a few years and tried hard to make it fit for me, but tonally it just wouldn't get there. After that experience I played an Axis in a store in Kansas while traveling for work, and loved the neck, but knew better from the tonal aspects. Old dogs, and all that I guess. I never had the opportunity to try the MM90, that could be an option. I do like that model though. Body, neck, everything...Very comfy! Thanks!

GWDavis28

I LOVE the Axis necks. I've played several, but never owned one for the reasons you mention. Back in about 1998 or so I also (on impulse in a music store) bought a Peavey Wolfgang stoptail. For one reason...the neck. Most comfortable thing I'd ever played. I kept that guitar for a few years and tried hard to make it fit for me, but tonally it just wouldn't get there. After that experience I played an Axis in a store in Kansas while traveling for work, and loved the neck, but knew better from the tonal aspects. Old dogs, and all that I guess. I never had the opportunity to try the MM90, that could be an option. I do like that model though. Body, neck, everything...Very comfy! Thanks!

If the tonal issue is the HH of the Axis, you might consider a used Axis Sport, they came in HH, MM90's (2), HSS and SSS. you get the Axis neck and a very under rated guitar.

Gotta tell you I love the MM90's over wound singles, they just sound soo great IMO.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

TripHazard

The triple SSS axis is a good country guitar - check out Johnny Hiland playing his - although he does have his own signature pickups in it

John C

Having owned both a couple of ALs and 3 Silo Specials I'll echo Magic Jason's comment that the AL neck is just a hair thicker and rounder than the Silo neck. They're close, but the AL is a bit more substantial.

Hope that helps.

GWDavis28

Twanger Banger just listed an nice Silver Sparkle AL in the Far Sale thread. Buy from a forumite is a good thing in my experiences.

Glenn |B)

Tx_Greg

Twanger Banger just listed an nice Silver Sparkle AL in the Far Sale thread. Buy from a forumite is a good thing in my experiences.

Glenn |B)

I love to buy used...and I'd be happy to buy from a forumite for sure. And no offense at all to TB, but I can't do Silver Sparkle. But you know who would have LOVED that guitar? Don Rich!

Ok...I keep going back and looking at this guitar....it's beautiful. I may have to change my stance on the silver!

Last edited:

Tag1

Have you tried a Valentine? I got a trem model in red a few weeks ago and not only is it a great looking guitar it plays & sounds incredible. The neck humbucker is clear & full and the bridge single coil can cover a lot of ground. I play in a cover band (doo-wop to ZZ Top) and I haven't found a song that this guitar doesn't work on. Comfy to play with that tapered body, fantastic intonation and a great trem.

Countrydave70

I echo the thoughts above that the AL is the greatest guitar ever. Even for someone with stumpy sausage fingers like me.
Over the years I've had a couple of Silhouettes, a couple of Axis Super Sports, a SUB1 and now have an Albert Lee.
Honestly it's the best guitar I've ever owned. The neck is perfect, just a little more rounded than the silhouettes for me.

I am currently saving up for another AL, in the hope that when I get the cash together there will be one with the MM90s pop up somewhere local.

Tx_Greg

Have you tried a Valentine? I got a trem model in red a few weeks ago and not only is it a great looking guitar it plays & sounds incredible. The neck humbucker is clear & full and the bridge single coil can cover a lot of ground. I play in a cover band (doo-wop to ZZ Top) and I haven't found a song that this guitar doesn't work on. Comfy to play with that tapered body, fantastic intonation and a great trem.

I've haven't got to try a Valentine yet, but it's definitely on my short list to do so. I've listened to a ton of clips, and it's a very versatile guitar. If I can't find an AL that suits me, that'll be my 2nd choice as of now. And if I go play one before then it could very well jump. But I really think the AL is callin me!

GWDavis28

I've haven't got to try a Valentine yet, but it's definitely on my short list to do so. I've listened to a ton of clips, and it's a very versatile guitar. If I can't find an AL that suits me, that'll be my 2nd choice as of now. And if I go play one before then it could very well jump. But I really think the AL is callin me!

Greg, AL HH, AL SSS or AL MM90's?

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom