• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Samhain

I’m a recent convert to EBMM. I’m in love.
I’m even selling some big name guitars (G&F) so I can get a couple more EBMM.
I wish more of their models came with a hardtail.
I also wish more had 500k pots.
Anyone agree with me?

tbonesullivan

I have some hardtail guitars, and some with tremolos. There are however many who feel that a decked and/or blocked tremolo sounds better than a hardtail. Eric Clapton is one who feels this way. He always plays with a blocked trem, even on guitars that are made just for him.

Samhain

I have some hardtail guitars, and some with tremolos. There are however many who feel that a decked and/or blocked tremolo sounds better than a hardtail. Eric Clapton is one who feels this way. He always plays with a blocked trem, even on guitars that are made just for him.

I feel ya. I’ve got a couple of guitars with blocked trems.
All of them Vintage 6 screw fender trems.
They do indeed have a good sound and it’s unique to them.
With that, I’ve never met a 2 point trem that wasn’t a tone destroyer, and I’ve never met a vintage trem that could hold tune well.
I’m a hardtail guy through and through.
I’d just love to see a few more of EBMMs models offered with a hardtail.

GWDavis28

Welcome!!! Whatcha thinking about getting?? You might have better luck finding a hard tail usedd. I believe there are more options.

I've got 4 hard tails, Albert Lee MM90's, Albert Lee HH, Silhouette Special SSS and Silhouette Special HSS (converting to Luke EMG's HSS).

Albert Lee MM90's White Sparkle (Tricked out by Jon Smith :) )
CIMG0813.jpg

Albert Lee HH Black Sugar BFR (Christma gift from my Wife and Kids)
CIMG3618_zps794222d1.jpg

Silo Special CLB Fuchsia Sparkle
CIMG0796.jpg

Silo Special Gold Sparkle made for Matchbox 20 (From Rex, a super guy!!!)
CIMG2513.jpg

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

Samhain

Those are great!
Love your Silhouettes!
I like the stingray a lot. The new model.
I currently have a Reflex that is the best guitar I’ve ever heard.
I’m looking for a white hardtail reflex for sale right now.
One of the pre game changer models.

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Those are great!
Love your Silhouettes!
I like the stingray a lot. The new model.
I currently have a Reflex that is the best guitar I’ve ever heard.
I’m looking for a white hardtail reflex for sale right now.
One of the pre game changer models.

Thanx man. Good luck finding the Reflex.

Glenn |B)

RichieZ

I have a Valentine hardtail. Great guitar and worth a look if you come across one... especially if you have owned/enjoyed Telecasters. (You mentioned G&F).

Samhain

I have a Valentine hardtail. Great guitar and worth a look if you come across one... especially if you have owned/enjoyed Telecasters. (You mentioned G&F).

I really dig the Valentine. I wish it had the same pups as the reflex. I’d love to have a valentine, but I’d have to change out the electronics. Which I’m loathe to do on a $2k guitar!

V_S

Hmm... I used to prefer hardtails before I got my first MM with trem.

Wayniac

Gotta love the Axis and ASS hardtails. I regrettably sold my old Axis hardtail years ago, but recently acquired an ASS MM90 hardtail that has some monster tone.

Good luck with your search.

Terry007

+1

I love my Valentine hardtail. The best guitar I own. I love my Stingray RS, but the Valentine is #1.

CaseyBall

Tai-Pan
Administrator
I’m a recent convert to EBMM. I’m in love.
I’m even selling some big name guitars (G&F) so I can get a couple more EBMM.
I wish more of their models came with a hardtail.
I also wish more had 500k pots.
Anyone agree with me?

Welcome, glad you like EBMM instruments! Seems like the best current production match up for you is the Armada. EBMM buckers and 500k pots. I don't think they use the same pups as Reflexes, though. Regardless, Armada pickups are some of my favorites.

MagicDave

Hardtail Player

I feel ya. I’ve got a couple of guitars with blocked trems.
All of them Vintage 6 screw fender trems.
They do indeed have a good sound and it’s unique to them.
With that, I’ve never met a 2 point trem that wasn’t a tone destroyer, and I’ve never met a vintage trem that could hold tune well.
I’m a hardtail guy through and through.
I’d just love to see a few more of EBMMs models offered with a hardtail.
I have been playing my Hardtail Silhouette for the last 17 years. I do have a Strat with dive only trem. I learned to play on hardtail guitars and after 60+ years have never found use for a tremolo. Each to his/her own though. I can't agree that a block trem can possibly have "better tone" than a hardtail. The "physics" of vibration transfer suggest that a trem bridge has less contact with the guitar body. How could have produce better "tone?" Anyway, it is all just opinion since "tone" is somewhat arbitrary. I do have two hardtail Silhouettes. Both set up the same for gigs, one is a back up in case a string breaks during a set. My opinion is that the Silhouette is the very best solid body guitar on the planet.

gullymiles

I have an AL HH hardtail, and I absolutely love it. I mean, if I had a trem I might use it very occasionally, but I like being able to palm mute at the bridge, and personally I find that a lot easier with hardtail.

(The AL HH is just the most wonderful comfortable guitar to play. The neck is amazing; it's like putting on a comfortable old pair of shoes. If you're looking for a hardtail guitar I'd totally recommend you check one out.)

GWDavis28

I have an AL HH hardtail, and I absolutely love it. I mean, if I had a trem I might use it very occasionally, but I like being able to palm mute at the bridge, and personally I find that a lot easier with hardtail.

(The AL HH is just the most wonderful comfortable guitar to play. The neck is amazing; it's like putting on a comfortable old pair of shoes. If you're looking for a hardtail guitar I'd totally recommend you check one out.)

So let's see it!!!! It doesn't exist with pictures!!!

Glenn |B)

bbjonz

Not a trem guy. Every now and then I'll buy a guitar that has one because hardtails just aren't readily available. That is true of the Cutlass I just sold and the trem-equipped Axis SS SH that I'll sell when my hardtail 25th Anniversary arrives. I blocked the trem on the Axis and it still doesn't feel right, not nearly as right as my non-trem Axis SS.

I've learned my lesson--wait for the non-trem version (if there is one...).

Pain-Free Music

Not a trem guy. Every now and then I'll buy a guitar that has one because hardtails just aren't readily available. That is true of the Cutlass I just sold and the trem-equipped Axis SS SH that I'll sell when my hardtail 25th Anniversary arrives. I blocked the trem on the Axis and it still doesn't feel right, not nearly as right as my non-trem Axis SS.

I've learned my lesson--wait for the non-trem version (if there is one...).

Please PM when you are ready to sell the Axis SS SH. I’d love to have one of those, and may be in a place to buy one soon.

Top Bottom