• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Unboxing: Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass RS HSS Ivory White - YouTube

First impression: The pickups are GREAT! The humbucker is particularly wonderful. I don't have my Silhouette Special with me to compare so I'm not gonna. But don't be put off that these are not brand name pickups, they are fantastic. Setup is impeccable, as always. Stainless steel frets feel wonderful!

The neck is lightly figured, a little birdseye, a little flame, not plain but not so flashy that I forget to play. And the rosewood is a lighter shade than I've had on other guitars, which I love.

I'm a happy boy!

Last edited:

kimonostereo

Wow complete with YouTube vid! Great score and I love that color. I really should have gotten that color for my Cutlass SSS when they came out.

DrKev

Thanks everyone! This is a NICE guitar! I’m loving the SS frets. The V-shape is most obvious at the nut and pretty much C-shape by the 7th. Very nice. The bass side horn/cutaway is closer to the neck pickup and the upper feet access is great, making it feel partway to a 24 fret guitar neck. The body shape is, as far as I can see, almost identical to the old pre-EB MM Sabre. It’s bigger than the silhouette special body, but doesn’t feel as unwieldy as a strat, thanks to the 4+2 headstock (which is itself still an inch and half longer than the older headstock but still much shorter than any 6-a-side headstock).

I’ll float the bridge later today and I may need to tweak the silent circuit in the future but I’m very happy.

Last edited:

mmmaslowski

Congrats! Watched the video, what a lovely specimen of sonic warfare!

I think you have mentioned in the footage that the neck was a slightly pronounced V-shape; after trying it out, does it make you adjust your playing?

DrKev

I think you have mentioned in the footage that the neck was a slightly pronounced V-shape; after trying it out, does it make you adjust your playing?

No, not really. It feels a little different in the open chord region but that’s about it.

Awesome Kev! About time you had a new guitar! And your guitar tech is too adorable.

Thanks buddy! Yes, she is!

DrKev...could I ask you to compare the neck size/profile of your beautiful new Cutlass to your Silo?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have my Silo Special with me to compare but if you like that neck, this is very similar, except of course for the V at the nut. Is the Cutlass slightly thinner? Maybe, just a little, but I could be wrong.

Tx_Greg

No, not really. It feels a little different in the open chord region but that’s about it.

Thanks buddy! Yes, she is!

I don’t have my Silo Special with me to compare but if you like that neck, this is very similar, except of course for the V at the nut. Is the Cutlass slightly thinner? Maybe, just a little, but I could be wrong.

Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom