• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ToneGrinder

For those who own various EBMM guitars, can you provide a comparison of the vintage and modern tremolo bridges and point out pros & cons (if there are any)?

I'm interested in differences of feel, tone, tuning stability, perceived weight, etc.

Thanks in advance!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I'm travelling and I don't have my Silhouette Special with me to directly compare the new Cutlass sitting on my lap, but if you'll allow me to work from memory...

In actual use the two trems feel about the same to me and I doubt I'd know any difference if I was blindfold and had to guess. They do look a little different, the new one of course has the new cover on top which feels nice but I could easily live without. The bridge plate is redesigned - the mounting posts are further apart, the advantage of which is that the high E saddle will never touch the treble side mounting post when you do a total dive bomb. Intonation adjustment screws on the new one are adjusted through holes in the back of top cover using a 2 mm or 5/64" allen wrench rather than a phillips head screw. Personally I always hated screwdriver adjustments so that's a plus IMO, but I need to get a spare 2 mm allen wrench for personal mini/stage setup kit.

Trem block on the old vintage trem was made of brass, the modern one is a very clean and serious looking black-coated thing of unknown metal. But I cannot honestly attribute any difference in use to that. The trem arm might be a little shorter on the new bridge too. I like it!

In terms of tuning stability I don't expect a big difference in performance. At the end of the day they are both a two-point knife edge mounted bridges. The locking tuners help and a very small amount of lubrication (in the nut slots and at the top of the saddles) is always key to maintaining tuning stabilty with any non-Floyd trem system.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I was meaning to post this photo album a long time ago, but better late than never, eh? Note the exploded photos of both bridges. Also, I can confirm that the trem block on the modern bridge is a black-anodized aluminum. Yes, alumninium. Vastly different in weight but in use feels virtually identical to the brass-blocked vintage trem. Saddle design is also different.

http://forums.ernieball.com/members/4915-albums2740.html

Last edited:

wired

East Freetown, Massachusetts, United States
Does anyone know if the arm from the modern tremolo will fit in the vintage tremolo? I have an LIII & AL w the vintage trems & have never been a fan of the trem arms with tips. I know the arms from my JPs are too thick to fit, but was wondering about the ones used with the St Vincent, which don't have tips.

Astrofreq

My 2cents. I find the modern Trem to be much more stable. My Cutlass is rock solid. I don't remember any of my vintage trems staying in tune as well. I love the newer designs.

Fro

I can’t feel any difference in play or feel between the modern & vintage trems unless I set my hand farther back behind the saddles. Then, the modern is more comfortable with that big cover.

Top Bottom