• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Araman

Hello to everybody!

This is my new Monarchy Black Night... :D

Just a question: is there any issue (tremolo/neck) to use an unbalanced string gauge 9-46 ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 177

johnnyboogie

Congratulations!!

You would have to do a proper setup for the Hybrid Slinky set. Adjust intonation, trussrod etc. Given that the guitar has been setup for 10-gauge.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If the guitar was set up for 10-46 previously and you change to 9-46, there will be a little less total string tension. That means the trem will be angled back a little into the body. You will need to loosen the trem claw screws (that will be a trial and error process; loosen-tune-check-repeat, until the bridge is approximately parallel with the top of the guitar when you are tune.) You may need to loosen the truss rod a little if you get string buzz on the lower frets. Intonation will need to be adjusted on the lighter gauge strings but not drastically so: if you're ears think you're fine, you're good to go.

(obviously, if you go from 9-42 to 9-46, the wound strings will have more tension and you'll have to do the opposite adjustments to what I've said above).

All clear?

Araman

If the guitar was set up for 10-46 previously and you change to 9-46, there will be a little less total string tension. That means the trem will be angled back a little into the body. You will need to loosen the trem claw screws (that will be a trial and error process; loosen-tune-check-repeat, until the bridge is approximately parallel with the top of the guitar when you are tune.) You may need to loosen the truss rod a little if you get string buzz on the lower frets. Intonation will need to be adjusted on the lighter gauge strings but not drastically so: if you're ears think you're fine, you're good to go.

(obviously, if you go from 9-42 to 9-46, the wound strings will have more tension and you'll have to do the opposite adjustments to what I've said above).

All clear?

Yes.. thank you All for your help!!!! :)

mmmaslowski

Congrats! What a beautiful specimen of sonic warfare ;)

DrKev has summed it very well; the bottom line is: the string tension will be less pronounced making the trem tilt towards the back.

On a personal note, I’ve gone from the 10-46 gauge to the 9-46 one (I play EB strings) and have determined that you can find some of the variants, like the Cobalts, or the Paradigm ones only neglibibly more tense with the 10-46 (I am talking about how one perceives the tension, not how much of the tension there factually is); at this point, I’ve decided to return to playing the 10-46 gauge. Go ahead experiment a little - sometimes the combination of alloy used can render the 10-46 gauage feel almost on par with the 9-46. As far as the tone, you’ll likely to gain more articulation and control with the slightly thicker gauge.

Top Bottom