• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MetalEgon

So I watched this helpful video that shows you how to change the tuning of you guitar easily with a floating bridge

figured this sounds easy enough and something even I can do!

So I blocked the tremolo, tuned guitar down 1/2 step, removed the block. Then when I went to loosen the claw screws to tune the guitar, they would not budge. Got to the point where it felt like the screw was starting to strip. Thought maybe the screwdriver size was a bit off, tried 4 different screw drivers.... no luck.

Is it possible the screws are already as loose as they can go? Does that make sense for the guitar to come with the screws backed all the way off? There are 3 springs in the guitar btw cause Im sure someone will ask that. Please help, am I doomed to play in E standard indefinately?

Its a 6 string Majesty btw.

Thank You

Tag1

Had the same thing on my Valentine. They were in there pretty snug. Took some muscle but they finally broke free.

tbonesullivan

Do you have any pictures of the claw screws you could post? Are there threads visible? How far is the end of the claw from the end of the trem cavity?

bhull

Don't underestimate what a huge difference the type of screwdriver you are using can make.

Is the tip of it worn? Have you test fit a #2 and a #3 to see which one grips the screw better? A slightly thicker handle will give you more torque to get them moving.

If they are really stuck, then you will need the right size bit in a 1/4 holder with an extension and a ratchet for even more torque.

Fro

The most important thing is to use the right size philips bit. That way you won’t strip the screw head. Then put some muscle into it :)

Top Bottom