• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Venetian.blind

After many years I've started to learn bass again. Always being a huge fan of Stingray basses I managed to get a good deal on EBMM SUB (the made in the USA ones, not a Sterling).

I love it, it sounds amazing and looks great (after replacing the scratch plate) but after some reading I've come to realise it has a wide but width (44mm, wider than most Stingray's I believe..) and I'm just wondering if it would be better to learn on something with a thinner neck. I also have access to a SBMM Ray34ca at the moment that has a thin more jazz like bass neck. I think the Ray34ca needs setting up as the SUB sounds so much better I always go back it.

I would say I have pretty average sized hands. I know the answer to this realistically is everybody needs to find a bass they are comfortable with it that feels good to them, but at the moment I'm not in the position to try lots of basses.

So I guess rather than a yes/no answer I'm looking to hear about some of your experiences with the SUB and how you found its playability.

Thanks!

Golem

`

Learning is best done on
a really huuuge fat neck,
and with a single pickup.

OOoooopppzee ! Forgot
the "IMNSHO". OK. We
good now.

`

Last edited:

five7

Find a usa sub sterling model, it has a thinner neck. Personally I get use to whatever width of neck I am playing at the time.

Golem

Find a usa sub sterling model, it has a thinner neck.
Personally I get use to whatever width of neck I am
playing at the time.

Don't think so. I have the Sterling version. Seems
to be an SR neck. There's not much "Sterling" to
the Sterling version in the SUB domain. Basically
a 3 band SR with a Sterling PG. No 3-way switch,
has the alnico SR PU etc, and acoarst no banana.
I don't think the body is smaller either. Great old
ax, but more SR than Sterling.

five7

I have owned two USA sub sterling models and many regular USA sub models, different feeling necks to me. Maybe someone that owns both can chime in.

Golem

I have owned two USA sub sterling models and many
regular USA sub models, different feeling necks to me.
Maybe someone that owns both can chime in.

Somebody here has gotta have both at the same time.
I've had one of each, years apart. Still got the Sterling
cuz it's my lifer. Made on my birthday !

`

bovinehost

Administrator
After many years I've started to learn bass again. Always being a huge fan of Stingray basses I managed to get a good deal on EBMM SUB (the made in the USA ones, not a Sterling).

I love it, it sounds amazing and looks great (after replacing the scratch plate) but after some reading I've come to realise it has a wide but width (44mm, wider than most Stingray's I believe..) and I'm just wondering if it would be better to learn on something with a thinner neck. I also have access to a SBMM Ray34ca at the moment that has a thin more jazz like bass neck. I think the Ray34ca needs setting up as the SUB sounds so much better I always go back it.

I would say I have pretty average sized hands. I know the answer to this realistically is everybody needs to find a bass they are comfortable with it that feels good to them, but at the moment I'm not in the position to try lots of basses.

So I guess rather than a yes/no answer I'm looking to hear about some of your experiences with the SUB and how you found its playability.

Thanks!

The USA SUB basses are wonderful instruments.

I don't know why you think you should learn on something with a smaller neck - is there some sort of advantage that I'm not aware of? I learned, if I learned at all, on instruments with fairly beefy necks. The first time I picked up an instrument with a thinner neck, I was all "Hey, it's a sports car!" So I can see the advantage to learning on a big fat neck, but not the other way around.

brash47

I'll relay an experience I had today. I went to the brand new San Jose Guitar Center. They had not a single EBMM bass. Thet did have some Sterling Subs....I know not a SUB...but bear with me.

I picked up one of the new Fender Jazz Player series with a Pao Ferro (sp?) neck. It played nice and a little meh....

I picked up a mint green $299 Sterling Sub. It was so much more comfortable, the tone was Stingray! The neck was so good.

I'll tell you, Sterlings, SUBS, and EBMM are so far ahead of any other manufactured bass on the market you should just get any of them and enjoy the hell out of learning on any of them.

Just my 2 cents. A comfortable neck is all that matters. Dont matter size, you'll adjust

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Holdsg

agree. you are talking the difference in string spacing in millimeters. millimeters. find something that works for you, and play the snot out of it.

Top Bottom