• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dr751

Hello all, new to the site. I have had a MM stingray guitar for over a year or so, and I absolutely love it. The quality of the guitar is outstanding.

However, I am not really in love with the pick-up. I want to put in some aftermarket pick-ups , may be Seymour Duncan or Gibson's. Is there any this special to know in changing out the pu's. My model is a '16 or '17, so I don't think it has a noise circuit.

Any help would be appreciated. I did some searching on line but was not able to find anything. And I don't have a schematic of the guitar, is it pretty much a std Humbucker wiring.

thanks!!

tbonesullivan

You should be able to get just about any brand of pickup to work. As far as I know, the stingray guitars do not have any type of Silent Circuit, as they do not need one, having two humbucking pickups with no coil splitting. Should be an easy swap.

You would probably want to check the pole piece spacing on the bridge pickup. Most bolt-on neck guitars use "Fender" string spacing at the bridge.

dr751

Thank you! Yes the bridge pick-up is F-spaced. I had been looking at Gibson '59's but the bridge is has std spacing.

Fro

Try adjusting the heights before you swap them out. At first I wasn’t really bonding with the pups in my Stingray either. After lowering both, I really love the tones I’m getting out of this guitar now. I lowered the bridge just a bit to take out a little bit of that bite. I lowered the neck pickup quite a bit and it’s sounding really sweet. I haven’t thought once about replacing them since I’ve adjusted on them.

dr751

Interesting, approx what height do you have the pick-up at? My guitar is a little too bass-y for me with low definition. Not much crunch, more boom. (If that means anything to anyone). I guess I could mess around with the height both up and down down.

Fro

I'm at work right now. I can get some measurements tomorrow. Just measure where you are at now for a reference point. Make small adjustments, about a complete turn of the screwdriver at a time, and just use your ears.

Fro

You could also lower just the bass side if it's to bassy.

dr751

Thank you, I'm going to try it out tomorrow night when I have some free time.

Terry007

I also don’t care for the pups in my Stingray. They are really anemic imo. I’m interested in what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbonesullivan

Also.. personally I feel that Dimarzio and Seymour duncan have much better offerings for a tremolo bolt on guitar than Gibson does.

dr751

I tried raising and lowering the pick-ups, lowering helped a little but still not to my liking. I ordered some Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF’s 103 and 223 f-spaced. We’ll see how it goes.

Astrofreq

To each his own for sure. I played a Stingray while in NYC and was super impressed with the tones. I absolutely wanted one after playing it.

Top Bottom