• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

darchirnoj

I have a Stingray RS. Very musical instrument.

I don’t know if it’s the scale length, the roasted maple neck, the SS frets, the trem, or even the
stock strings, but I’d like to thicken up the sound a bit; add some midrange.

What would you recommend?
Strings and gauge? Pickups?

Thanks,
Jon

Astrofreq

First thing I would do is raise the pickup heights a millimeter (or three). That will absolutely beef up your sound immediately.

darchirnoj

Was thinking of throwing in some Alnico 2s in there (of some sort).
And throwing on some Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms on it too.
With a narrow nut, not sure how those will fit on there.

agt

Any suggestions for a thick-sounding tube amp?

It depends on what styles of music you play. I can only offer suggestions based on amps I actually own and have personal experience with.

Fender amps with 6L6s or 6V6s (e.g. Deluxe Reverb) are a good choice if you want cleaner sounds or as a pedal platform. For a more Marshally tone, I have a Friedman PT-20 and that is big and thick sounding to the point where I add an EQ pedal to thin it out for rhythm work. The Friedman Dirty Shirley is also thick. (I would not recommend the Runt 20 in the Friedman line - nice amp, but thinner sounding that its siblings). I have a Mesa Mark V 25; it is more versatile that any of the above with its tone shaping controls and graphic EQ, but it is usually the PT-20 I plug into if I am after thickness. There are many other tube amps that will get you thick sounds, but these are ones I currently own and use.

Finally, consider your amps speakers. That can also make a significant difference.

darchirnoj

Wow! Those are some great recommendations.
You mentioned the Runt 20 was thinner than those mentioned.
Have you ever tried a Runt 50? There’s one near me locally that I can try out.

I’ll still try the pickup swap and string gauge change with the Stingray.

agt

I owned a Runt 50 for about a week last year. I exchanged it for the Runt 20, which I later sold to acquire the PT-20. I would not describe the Runt 50 as thin, and the clean channel is more versatile than the 20. Having said that, the one I had exhibited a bit of harshness that was not to my liking. YMMV.

darchirnoj

Not yet.
I was out of town to, amongst some other things, purchase a guitar
to replace my Stingray RS...
Ultimately, I did not buy a guitar, but plan on tweaking
the pickup height when I get home, along with exploring an amp.

I am currently between amps, but last played it with a 5150 (I), Landry LS, and a Mesa Triple Crown 50

beej

"Thickening" up usually means adding low mids. Definitely something you can get from a pedal (Klon style ones are a good place to start) if your amp doesn't naturally have them.

Flash Gordon

I’d start inexpensive... if you want a “warmer” sound (not higher output), just swap your favorite string gauge to “Pure Nickel” strings... (NOT “nickel coated”). There is a major difference! Pure nickel is what was common back in the 50’s-60’s rock.

FWIW, Pickup height will only change output... to change sound you would add/take away or ise different gauge windings and magnet types (opinions may vary on this), so you could consider different pick ups.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Mick

I don´t recommend raising the Pickups, you get more output but loose dynamics in the first place. Not every guitar and amp combination works great - start there. No pedals no nothing but a good qualitiy cable.
In the worst case maybe you need another Musicman guitar or a pickup swap.

coolhandluc

Not sure what's in the StingRay, but moving to a 250k volume pot would help. I like the Music Man DiMarzio PAF types thru a 250k.

Terry007

I didn’t care for my stock pickups either. They were very dark and somewhat weak.

I replaced them with Railhammer Nuevo 90’s and it woke the guitar up. It sounds fantastic now. The 90’s with the mahogany body is just fantastic, really brighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom