• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

So I've had a Cutlass RS SSS in charcoal frost on order for a while now in the UK. It finally turned up today but unfortunately there's a slight issue with the finish which happened in transit near the neck joint on both sides. It has a couple of hairline cracks. I'm obviously not going to accept it and a replacement will take too long to arrive.

I can get another SSS version in a different finish or I have been offered the HSS version in the same finish for the same price and just wondered those who own the HSS version have you compared it to the SSS version? and what do you think I should go for?

Many thanks
Paul

mikeller

I have a SSS (not roasted neck) and a RS HSS, so while its not a direct compare, its close.

Its a matter of preference, but if I had to choose one it would be the HSS. The bridge pickup on the HSS blends (tone & volume) so darn good with the singles that its just wonderful, just a little thicker and sounds fantastic clean or with gain.

That's my 2 cents,

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
It all depends why you chose the SSS. If you really had your heart set on three singles then that’s probably what you should do. I have not compared the two side by side but I can tell you, like Mike said the Cutlass humbucker is really great!

I would also mention that hairline cracks at the corner of the neck packet are very common on all brands of Bolt-on neck guitars, many people never even realise they are there. (Stress builds up a corners and cracks are a consequence of this, which is why we have round windows in pressurized aeroplanes). Those little tiny cracks are 99.9% of the time purely cosmetic and do not affect the wood. They are of no structural consequence. Personally if they’re small and hard to see I would keep the guitar. That’s just me, but I just thought I would mention it.

Paulg2uk

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated. You are correct I'd be looking to buy the other config next year anyway so maybe the HSS is good for me at the moment. I am getting it £100 less than it should be I suppose. I'm waiting for some pics of the HSS to come thru so I can make a decision.

I was gonna buy the SSS to replace my Strat in the band but then I figured it's only the in between position 2 sound I need to make sure is the same sort of tone as the Strat which I think it is.

The cracks don't look that bad to be honest but I don't really want to accept it. I'm sure you guys would say the same as me.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Paul

TripHazard

Cool man, keep us updated. Looking forward to the pictures. The inevitable question is: what colour would you have the other configuration in? What fingerboard wood do you prefer?

Paulg2uk

Cool man, keep us updated. Looking forward to the pictures. The inevitable question is: what colour would you have the other configuration in? What fingerboard wood do you prefer?

I definitely want one with a rosewood board and then one with a maple board so at the moment I'm thinking HSS and the maple board and the SSS with the rosewood board. I've asked what other finishes in the HSS config they have in stock. If they haven't I'll go with the HSS in the charcoal with the rosewood board and get an SSS with a maple board later on next year.

Thinking about it more though my Strats are all maple necks and fingerboards so maybe SSS with a maple fingerboard would be a good idea anyway. Will shall see lol

I will let you all know what happens.

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I've heard from my dealer and have some pics of the HSS in the Charcoal frost finish which is the only other model they have in stock at the moment. The HSS has a better figured neck where as the SSS which was damaged has a pretty plain neck.

I'm gonna go for the HSS and get an SSS at a later date.

I will post you all some pics when it turns up.

Thanks again for all your help fellas.

TripHazard

Not yet, he has been waiting on some info from the distributor about which colours he can get in and when and how the distribution is going to work this quarter. He is gonna send me an update - probably hear from him soon now yours is in hand.
I’m hoping for good news:)

Paulg2uk

Bit of a development last night fellas. Apparently there was a cancelled order to one of the dealers over here in the UK and a Turquoise SSS model has become available. I've asked for some pics so I can check it out. Now I'm torn between the two!

Paulg2uk

It is an exceptionally good colour :)

It is Chris you're right. I forgot you had one in that finish. I mentioned to Andy that you'd be interested in whichever guitar I don't go for and the other one. He said he was gonna email you today anyway.

stefan01

Hello, I bought one week ago a Cutlass HSS. Just amazing. The humbucker is really good, sounds great for blues to rock)) it's little bit louder than singles, but who cares)) when I'm playing with some overdrive is no difference, just when on clean sound. I think HSS is more comfortable and versatile.

Trimis de pe al meu Redmi 4 folosind Tapatalk

Paulg2uk

Hello, I bought one week ago a Cutlass HSS. Just amazing. The humbucker is really good, sounds great for blues to rock)) it's little bit louder than singles, but who cares)) when I'm playing with some overdrive is no difference, just when on clean sound. I think HSS is more comfortable and versatile.

Trimis de pe al meu Redmi 4 folosind Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to go with the HSS I think I'm gonna benefit from it a bit more than the SSS config. As long as I get that great position 2 sound for my cleans and slighty overdriven tone then that's all I need.

Thanks again for all your input fellas, I will post some pics next week when the guitar turns up.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Position 2 with a full humbucker and middle single is a little meatier sounding than the correspponding single bridge-single middle sound but otherwise pretty much the same thing and it still has all the appropriate quack or spank or squank or whatever you want to call it. You will be the only person who knows the difference between that sound a standard strat in the same position. It has a little extra volume compared to two singles, and it balances really well with the middle single on it's own.

BTW, the Cutlass is my second guitar with a full hum+single in position 2 and the Cutlass does the best job of that position!

Paulg2uk

Position 2 with a full humbucker and middle single is a little meatier sounding than the correspponding single bridge-single middle sound but otherwise pretty much the same thing and it still has all the appropriate quack or spank or squank or whatever you want to call it. You will be the only person who knows the difference between that sound a standard strat in the same position. It has a little extra volume compared to two singles, and it balances really well with the middle single on it's own.

BTW, the Cutlass is my second guitar with a full hum+single in position 2 and the Cutlass does the best job of that position!

Thanks Kev,

That's exactly what I meant that Spanky sound you get in the in-between positions. I really like that for my clean sounds great with a bit of chorus on and also on it's own with a bit of OD on.

Top Bottom