• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

oooogie

Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered here somewhere but I'll be dipped if I can find it. I'm looking to buy a less expensive version of my EBMM Axis super sport made in 2000. The guitar I buy will sit on a stand next to my chair for the purpose of grab and practice a tune. Play along with you tube vids and such. Don't want to keep my gamer out in the living room. So I'm wondering what the difference is between the sterling and the sterling sub models. Which is the better guitar for feel. I probably won't even plug this guitar in. Just for noodling purposes only. Thanks.

PeteDuBaldo

The SUB series are more budget friendly, and have a few features which make them different from the Sterling Axis models.

There have been several models in each line, here's a quick summary of the most obvious differences.

The original AX3 had a photo-flame top on a hardwood body, and rosewood or maple fretboard (model discontinued).
The AX40 had a veneer maple top on a basswood body and rosewood or maple fretboard (model discontinued).
The AX40D had a veneer maple top, basswood body and DiMarzio humbuckers and rosewood or maple fretboard (model discontinued).
The current SUB Axis (AX3S) has a basswood body and SBMM pickups, jatoba fretboard, and no maple/figured tops.

oooogie

Thanks you Pete. I guess my most important question is which of the models has the most similar neck specs?
Thanks again for your reply.

Top Bottom