• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

danielbravo

Hello, for about 11 years I used a music man axis as well as other guitars (basically a telecaster fender and a gibson sg)
In one way or another the axis has become my main guitar.
Until now I had never considered the need for tone control, I usually used the pickup selector and very little experience with volume control to vary the tonalitie. But sometimes I feel it could be useful to have it.
EVH who designed with EB the first models said: why a tone control?
Every time I see Ritchie Castellano's guitar with tone control I'm curious about it and about the advantage of having it.

Some of you who have Axis can share your opinion and experiences here by playing your axis guitars manufacturated with "No" tone control ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

headcrash

HI,

I have three Axis (Super) Sports, and as opposed to the Axis/EvH models, they do have a tone knob (as do my Silo Spec and AL HH, where I have a Fender Noload pot as tone knob...).

Since I have been playing guitar (almost 30 years), I have NEVER used a tone knob, I just don't need it and for my sound (and maybe style) it just doesn't fit, and to be honest I also don't like the muffled sound.
On some guitars I had it disconnected for some time.
I'd rather have the (Super) Sports without it, just like the regular Axis's.

danielbravo

Some musicians have asked me if I do not need tone control ... but I have not asked that myself until now. I have adapted to what I have

Last edited:

danielbravo

HI,

I have three Axis (Super) Sports, and as opposed to the Axis/EvH models, they do have a tone knob (as do my Silo Spec and AL HH, where I have a Fender Noload pot as tone knob...).

Since I have been playing guitar (almost 30 years), I have NEVER used a tone knob, I just don't need it and for my sound (and maybe style) it just doesn't fit, and to be honest I also don't like the muffled sound.
On some guitars I had it disconnected for some time.
I'd rather have the (Super) Sports without it, just like the regular Axis's.

I never touch my tone knob on any of my guitars.

Certainly in my case something similar happens, but at one time using my sg I used to play with both tone controls to achieve different tones. When I use the Axis I sometimes use the pickup selector and recently the volume to find other tones but now I have this concern about the use of tone control in the axis.

In a way, I think I should explore a bit more with my guitar. What kind of music do you play?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Remember that the presence of a tone control (specifically the resistance to ground of the tone pot) in a circuit alters the tone. If you disconnect your tone pot the guitar will be a brighter and a little louder. Some like it, some don't.

Personally, I rarely use the tone control but I'd never remove it.

spychocyco

I never touch the tone control. I have a couple of guitars that have multiple tone controls that I'm sure would be useful to some players, but they're wasted on me. Of course, I typically only use the bridge or neck pickup settings, and I have a couple of standard amp sounds that I go to every time, as well. I'm just not much of a tweaker in any way when it comes to my sound. I'd rather stick with the one that hides my suckage the most, and crank it up and play. :D

Astrofreq

There is a small group of us on this forums that swear by the Axis hardtail, as far as being the ultimate rock tone monster (because of the lack of a tone knob). There is an unquestionable difference between an axis hardtail and axis super sport hardtail. Once I got my hands on the purple one I have now, I sold all my super sports. The super sports are amazing and more versatile than the 3-way toggle guitars, but if I want clean tones, my Cutlass is where I’ll go. I want my Axis’ to be rock machines.

danielbravo

I never touch my tone knob on any of my guitars.

There is a small group of us on this forums that swear by the Axis hardtail, as far as being the ultimate rock tone monster (because of the lack of a tone knob). There is an unquestionable difference between an axis hardtail and axis super sport hardtail. Once I got my hands on the purple one I have now, I sold all my super sports. The super sports are amazing and more versatile than the 3-way toggle guitars, but if I want clean tones, my Cutlass is where I’ll go. I want my Axis’ to be rock machines.

I've never had one of these in my hands, but I guess it's the same sound of an Axis equipped with Floyd Rose tremolo...

danielbravo

Maybe I have not explained myself well: I don't mean to "remove the tone control of my guitar", in fact my Axis does not have it (unlike the Super Sport)
My concern is precisely to know if someone with an Axis has missed the tone control. if this affects or not the search of tonalities when you use an axis. It is good to know how other axis users (including super sport users) handle the "tonalities" theme with their Axis guitars without having tone control available (or with availability)

Knowing about the experience of others is very valuable to me, really!

Astrofreq

I've never had one of these in my hands, but I guess it's the same sound of an Axis equipped with Floyd Rose tremolo...

Yes, I would say the hardtail might have a touch more sustain, but I haven't played one with a Floyd in a long time. I don't use a tremolo much, so a Floyd isn't really something I need.

Astrofreq

Now, back to your thread title. Whether a tone knob is necessary or not I think depends on the person and the style of music. I only speak for myself. Hardcore jazz guys probably need a tone knob more than myself (although I'm not sure hardcore jazz guys reach for an Axis).

danielbravo

Now, back to your thread title. Whether a tone knob is necessary or not I think depends on the person and the style of music. I only speak for myself. Hardcore jazz guys probably need a tone knob more than myself (although I'm not sure hardcore jazz guys reach for an Axis).
Well, this is precisely one of the important topics of the whole thing. I've seen some musicians using axis to play heavy/hard rock but others go a little further. I've seen a guy playing avant garde jazz with an axis and it has a fantastic sound, from songs with clean sound to extreme distortion.

In my case I basically play blues and hard rock. That's why I use SG / Telecaster but as I mentioned in my initial post the Axis has become my main guitar since 2007. Sometimes I feel limiting to achieve a particular sound, other times the same thing does not happen and the axis is my option.... this is the reason why I am interested in seeing the opinion of other guitarists here.

And I really appreciate your opinion, it is not very common to find objective opinions of these guitars (the majority of those I know use fenders, gibsons, prs and other brands) and there is little knowledge of these models manufactured by music man

Thanks !

xjbebop

Just personal preference as indicated by the posts above.
I have a couple of guitars with just a volume control and they work great for certain styles & tones. I've also got one with no controls and a few with a blower switch (both send the signal straight to the output jack..) if you want to be really hard core ;)
That said, I prefer having good sounding tone controls and use them all the time...
if you added an Axis Sport / Super Sport you'd have the best of both worlds.

tbonesullivan

I only really use it for clean playing, sometimes. Usually for a specific type of sound. I don't usually use it to "dial in" my guitar. I usually have everything full on.

TripHazard

I do use the tone control on mine, and i have treble bleeds on my volume pots where necessary. I like to use the tone knob to vary sounds across the pickups. However, I’m not a gigging musician so all my playing is just personal enjoyment and experimenting with writing bits and bobs and playing with sounds. I also play clean the majority of the time and use the amp settings in combo with the volume knob as the means to push into overdrive. I’m gonna get a Greer lightspeed pedal to experiment with soon. For reference my amp is 68 reissue vibrolux

Caveat - I don’t own an axis, but I had a cabronita with no tone control, and i missed having the tone knob

ohbugger

I have JP's (no Axis or EVH) in my stable, but I have recently found myself using the tone knob to dial a bit of the harshness or "bite" out of my sound... obviously depending on the amp and signal chain, and what situation I am in. Mostly play rock and heavier stuff.

Can't say I would miss it a lot, especially if you have gear that you are confident in producing the quality sound you want at different volumes and in various situations.

Bungo

I keep thinking that experimenting with it may be a good idea, but in 35+years I manage to forget every time I strap one on!

I think my ears are too shagged for anything other than max treble now too... :)

danielbravo

I do use the tone control on mine, and i have treble bleeds on my volume pots where necessary. I like to use the tone knob to vary sounds across the pickups. However, I’m not a gigging musician so all my playing is just personal enjoyment and experimenting with writing bits and bobs and playing with sounds. I also play clean the majority of the time and use the amp settings in combo with the volume knob as the means to push into overdrive. I’m gonna get a Greer lightspeed pedal to experiment with soon. For reference my amp is 68 reissue vibrolux

Caveat - I don’t own an axis, but I had a cabronita with no tone control, and i missed having the tone knob

Hi !
Interesting opinion, in short it is a matter of taste. When you use an Axis you do not have tone control (with the exception of the SS) and in my case I try to use the volume control; especially with the bridge pickup that sometimes has a very bright sound. These DiMarzio are excellent, I have no complaints about them but sometimes with the bridge pickup at high volumes the trebble is very intense for my taste. My main guitar is the Axis and then I prefer the Telecaster that has tone control. Recently I was asked about the advantages of the configuration of these Axis SS for having volume and tone control or for the custom Axis that Ritchie Castellano uses with Blue Oyster Cult.
That curiosity made me start this Thread

Thanks for your opinion !

I have JP's (no Axis or EVH) in my stable, but I have recently found myself using the tone knob to dial a bit of the harshness or "bite" out of my sound... obviously depending on the amp and signal chain, and what situation I am in. Mostly play rock and heavier stuff.

Can't say I would miss it a lot, especially if you have gear that you are confident in producing the quality sound you want at different volumes and in various situations.

Good ! Something similar has happened to me but I only use the volume control for obvious reasons (I use an Axis)

Top Bottom