• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Morseman19

Hi, wanted to throw this out there and see if theres any recommendations.
i have a 2015 bfr luke blueberry burst. main guitar for 3 years now. its absolutely incredible except for 1 thing.
I'm having trouble keeping it in 440. Its been set up and intonated by guitar factory in orlando. bill does incredible work. bridge is flat on the body, intonation is perfect, I've put graphite in the nut( helped, but didn't solve). is there anything I'm missing? am i suppose to oil the locking tuners? neck is straight, you name it. very well taken care of. just baffled.

Attachments

• D49D3CE0-24FE-4D44-A965-B85C543A4690.jpg
    D49D3CE0-24FE-4D44-A965-B85C543A4690.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Morseman19

I've done that as well. I'm just using dry powder graphite, bought it from ace hardware

mikeller

I put a small drop of Tri-Flow in the nut slots and on the saddles, patting off the excess with a piece of paper towel, with each string change. Periodically I work some Tri-Flow on the bridge posts as well. My MM guitars are all set to float.

When you say you are having trouble keeping it a 440, are you referring after general playing or after using the trem?

BrickGlass

Dry lube is not the way to go imo. You need something to really slick it up in the nut and on top of the saddles. I also put some on the posts where the bridge moves against the posts. The knife edges so to speak if we are using Floyd Rose lingo. I have had the best results with Big Bends lubricant.

ieso

Nut sauce at the nut slots and saddles should solve the problem. My two EBMM have nut slots that are tight enough to cause the G or B strings to 'ping' when bending strings and the solution to this was a drop of nut sauce. Works perfectly. One syringe of that stuff will last years

xjbebop

Surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of strings...
I assume you've tried a number of other string brands & gauges?

Tomservo_Crow

just my experience in a similar situation.
I recently bought a used BFR Luke in blueberry burst and put a set of D'addario XL hybrid 9-46 strings on it and was having all kinds of tuning stability issues even when I decked the bridge. I was starting to think that something was wrong with the guitar.
I decided to try a set of Ernie Ball super slinky's (9-42), I also bought some nut sauce.
When I was taking the D'addario's off I noticed the low E was pretty snug in the nut. I decided to try the slinky's without the nut sauce and set everything up with a floating bridge to the factory Luke specs. Now this thing holds tune very well even without fully stretching the strings. I will probably use the nut sauce at some point since I bought it, but I am in no rush at the moment.
when I used the strings and gauge that the guitar came setup from the factory with, it works great!

GWDavis28

just my experience in a similar situation.
I recently bought a used BFR Luke in blueberry burst and put a set of D'addario XL hybrid 9-46 strings on it and was having all kinds of tuning stability issues even when I decked the bridge. I was starting to think that something was wrong with the guitar.
I decided to try a set of Ernie Ball super slinky's (9-42), I also bought some nut sauce.
When I was taking the D'addario's off I noticed the low E was pretty snug in the nut. I decided to try the slinky's without the nut sauce and set everything up with a floating bridge to the factory Luke specs. Now this thing holds tune very well even without fully stretching the strings. I will probably use the nut sauce at some point since I bought it, but I am in no rush at the moment.
when I used the strings and gauge that the guitar came setup from the factory with, it works great!

Nice man, and welcome. Have you posted pictures of it in the Luke thread?

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/24742-post-pics-luke-4.html#post1034873

Glenn |B)

BrickGlass

You should not have to use a certain gauge of string to keep your guitar in tune. You may simply just need to have the nut refiled when using a thicker gauge in order to accommodate the new string size.

Tomservo_Crow

For sure. I actually like the super slinky's better, and I didn't have to file the nut. So win, win for me. But if I wanted to keep the larger gauge, a nut file would have also helped. I guess I was just trying to relate that the nut, string gauge, and not being properly setup together was my problem.

dibart77

Big Bends Nut Sauce in the nut slots. I don't put lube in the saddles and have pretty damn good tuning stability. (When you put it in the saddles you get it on your hand when you palm mute, and then the strings and guitar get greasy -- in my experience).

Make sure the locking knobs on the back of the tuners are screwed down nice and tight.

Unless you want to file the nut (which scares me), I'd recommend the stock string gauge.

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
You may simply just need to have the nut refiled when using a thicker gauge in order to accommodate the new string size.

Music Man guitars will comfortably take a 10-46. Many forum members have reported that even 11-48 works without needing work on the nuts slots (but I make no promises there).

Unless you want to file the nut (which scares me)

Easy job for those with the appropriate nut slotting files/skills/experience/confidence/spare nuts. For everyone else, best have somebody else do it.

Top Bottom