• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

D.Giusseppe

Hi, first of all i just want to introduce myself. My name is Jose and Im writing from Spain, (so, apologize about my english).
I just purchase an Axis Super Sport, and the back looks dirty (in pics, i dont have it yet) but i when I call my luthier to tell that I have a new baby and telling when he be able to make a revision. He scared me about the neck could have mushrooms, and, even if not, never became as originally was.. (not a really big problem if its ok). So I want to share the photos I have and regarding your opinion about who the neck looks to you.. I have a lot of controversial emotions righr now because I was really happy with purchasing my firs EBMM, but now Im a little worried and disapointed... I send you the captures on the phone, as soon i have it in my hand I will take better pics.
Looks so bad to you?. Did you see any problems on it?.

MANY THANKS TO ALL!!
1458d535a54259045503ab7237cdc838.jpg
792402e317fb97d92a317f1295141dfa.jpg
a96142af7d714bad34da5d895a8156ed.jpg

Enviado desde mi MHA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

jzeijen

Congrats on your new guitar! Mushrooms he said? Never heard that before and I'm not sure what that would even look like. Judging from the pictures only it's just a neck that has been played intensively. You will indeed not get it back to the original color, but after a good cleaning the playability should be great. I had dirty Music Man necks in my hands and cleaning will freshen it up quite a bit, especially with the oil/wax treatment applied to it.

coolhandluc

This is normal. Clean with steel wool 0000 and do the oil/wax treatment and you'll be good to go. It's what happens to MM guitars. No biggie. I have had success using paint stripper to get the color and dirty look to lessen a lot. Then you could amber stain it after then oil/wax. But I'd try my first suggestion first.

V_S

Don't know.. there are theories that birds eye figure is caused by fungus. Maybe that's what the luthier meant. Otherwise it looks fine.

jones4tone

This one looks to me like the owner treated the neck and fingerboard with an oil of some kind that darkened it, as the "dirt" (I don't think it's dirt) is so consistent across the entirety of the non-glossed part of the neck and board. You may not need to do anything at all to it, but can always clean and re-apply the oil/wax treatment. I suspect it will always have a darker color than the headstock, though.

Maybe your luthier saw the birds-eye in the neck and made the mushroom comment about that? It looks like a beautiful piece of maple!

D.Giusseppe

Many thanks to all for your quick answer.

He told me about the fungus, because the color turns a little greener in the photos (I do not have phisically yet its in her way to Spain).

The truth is in the beginning looks to me like a good piece of birdseye (darker i think it was because of dirty), but its true looks really uniform, so maybe is the treatment for the previous owners.

Now Im a little more relax about it, because no one tell something alarm, many thanks. Maybe the best idea is to disamble the neck an make a good clean/oil treatment as many people sugest.
Or maybe I dont need to do nothing and is just the color she have, the only pitty on that is that looks like a really good birdseye, and not shine to much because looks too dark.. as soon she arrives, I could have a better idea of everything..

As I said many thanks to all, and what a great discover this forum. Looks amazing!!

danielbravo

Many thanks to all for your quick answer.

He told me about the fungus, because the color turns a little greener in the photos (I do not have phisically yet its in her way to Spain).

The truth is in the beginning looks to me like a good piece of birdseye (darker i think it was because of dirty), but its true looks really uniform, so maybe is the treatment for the previous owners.

Now Im a little more relax about it, because no one tell something alarm, many thanks. Maybe the best idea is to disamble the neck an make a good clean/oil treatment as many people sugest.
Or maybe I dont need to do nothing and is just the color she have, the only pitty on that is that looks like a really good birdseye, and not shine to much because looks too dark.. as soon she arrives, I could have a better idea of everything..

As I said many thanks to all, and what a great discover this forum. Looks amazing!!

Do not worry about this, these neck over time take this color, they go darkening a bit. I have one of these for 11 years and the color of the wood in the neck has been changing progressively. You can clean it as you have been here and its appearance will improve a bit but this is a normal process by use.
My recommendation: enjoy it!

nervous

I am in the camp that it looks like that was intentionally darkened, or attempted to be. Honest discoloration from use would not be that even, especially on the fret board. Removing the neck would possibly tell the story as well. If it's dark under there or not, is teh application very neat to the body contour, etc. It's not a bad thing but I don't think that's a natural result. Perhaps a test with a little alcohol or thinner would show if it's a stain that would transfer to a rag. If so a quick wipe or two with that solvent might lighten it a bit if it bothers you. Then a nice wax and you're as good as you'll get.

tbonesullivan

I would wipe it down with some lemon oil and/or wonder wipes to see if you get any dark residue off.

That certainly doesn't look like fungus or mildew. Just a neck that's been oiled, possibly with a gunstock oil that has some tint to it.

MJM

I think it looks awesome as is!! I'd rather see a dirty maple neck than a super clean white one.. my opinion only! Enjoy that new guitar

spychocyco

Like others, I'd suspect it was the type of oil or cleaner that the previous owner used on it. These unfinished necks do darken over time as well, though. My 2007's neck is a few shades darker than the finished headstock, though not nearly this dark. I doubt that there's any serious issue here.

If you want to lighten it, you might try a little Barkeeper's Friend on a less noticeable spot. I know a couple of people who swear by that stuff to clean up grungy old maple fretboards.

D.Giusseppe

She finally arrives!! Its dark, but not too much... For me looks really cool!!. Cleaning it with wonder wipes, doent sing any dirt so clearly is the tone of any oil or something like that. So finally I keep it as is.. Thats my guitar, and it is what is.. With his 18 years of history behind.. So perfect!!.. Many thabks to all
0810328a1fff2333ba5109e44846b584.jpg
f3bb14ec3a2a8bfde2aa6e34db8d5ee1.jpg
9bb14be671b8730fd99d44a4bbcdf9ba.jpg
4d45369a3d96ae289233e884230581a7.jpg
078c5b4aea311dfb5ec55072bb81e17f.jpg
009c1db3b5a116ff03def65925ec66c2.jpg
64f84d57809dad76cfc545360e19f843.jpg
10cc149d4c2dfe3951449a6d299cb7ed.jpg
33300a4f0d3f0553c4ad90cd739c9ece.jpg

spychocyco

Nice one. Your photos look much better than the seller's. The darker tone really brings the birdseye out. I wouldn't change it either.

GWDavis28

I like it, gives it character. Congrats on a nice score. Enjoy it!!!

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Looks great! That's simply a guitar that has been well cared for and used. With the oiled neck, even if you clean it all the time, it will end up darker over time. Enjoy it!

danielbravo

She finally arrives!! Its dark, but not too much... For me looks really cool!!. Cleaning it with wonder wipes, doent sing any dirt so clearly is the tone of any oil or something like that. So finally I keep it as is.. Thats my guitar, and it is what is.. With his 18 years of history behind.. So perfect!!.. Many thabks to all
0810328a1fff2333ba5109e44846b584.jpg
f3bb14ec3a2a8bfde2aa6e34db8d5ee1.jpg
9bb14be671b8730fd99d44a4bbcdf9ba.jpg
4d45369a3d96ae289233e884230581a7.jpg
078c5b4aea311dfb5ec55072bb81e17f.jpg
009c1db3b5a116ff03def65925ec66c2.jpg
64f84d57809dad76cfc545360e19f843.jpg
10cc149d4c2dfe3951449a6d299cb7ed.jpg
33300a4f0d3f0553c4ad90cd739c9ece.jpg

When I saw your first post I imagined that you would finally find something like this. It's good to know that you're happy with your guitar. As you have been told here, it looks good! If you saw the neck of mine, with 11 years of use! For a long time I fought against the darkening, but these unfinished necks end up getting these tones that give it personality to your guitar. When cleaning them with oils they take these tones that are very beautiful. All these guitars with aged look, and well maintained are really nice.
Congratulations

Top Bottom