• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

atomicdogma

Hi.

I have a Sterling AX40D guitar with a dirty maple fretboard. I tried cleaning it with Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes, but it didn't get the dirt off.

Questions:
1. It is safe to clean my AX40D maple fretboard with #0000 super fine steel wool?
2. If so, should rub with or against the grain?

Thanks for your help!

nervous

I am sure you can, I probably wouldn't as a first choice to clean. Start with something a but less abrasive like naphtha, diluted Murphy's Oil soap, someone mentioned Barkeepers Friend in another thread, and I am sure there will be many more options coming soon. I'd also opt for a green Scotch Brite scrubbie instead of steel wool to avoid the loose steel wool bits on your magnetic parts. To your second question, should you eventually take the steel wool route always with the grain. Lateral cross grain scratches look amateur and are hard to get out without removing more material in an already difficult area to neatly work in.

nervous

From the EBMM FAQ:

"Some of our instruments have necks that are finished with a glossy or matte polyester finish. These necks can be cleaned and maintained with a polish cloth similar to the body of the instrument.

However, many of our necks are not finished that way. They are finished with tru-oil and gunstock wax for a smooth natural feel.

For routine conditioning and cleaning of these necks we recommend Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner.

If the Wonder Wipes are not available try using a high grade of lemon oil. It will work both on maple, rosewood and ebony. If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 with water, to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend a lot of. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!

On an maple neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal.

An annual (or so) dose of tru oil and gunstockwax will help to keep the neck maintained; we use and recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work.

Click here to watch a how-to video

Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any oils or waxes"

Top Bottom