• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Magman

Hello everybody! I'm looking for one of these basses.

I'm confused about the different versions of this model. There seem to be bodies and necks made in Indonesia or Korea, a paler blue finish without burst and a richer blue finish with burst, and labels "Ray35" or "StingRay5". I have even seen one bass where the finishes did not match: The body had the finish with the burst and the head stock had the paler blue without burst.

One dealer told me, that they have only seen Indonesian ones so far. Will the Korean ones arrive here in Europe some time later? Another dealer said, that these basses are discontinued and not available anymore. Is that correct?

An alternative for me could be the Ray35 Natural. Are there also Indonesian and Korean bodies and necks?

Bert

I'm no expert.

SterlingbyMM.jpg
I believe the left one is Korea (more accurate) made, the right one (SUB, 3 knobs, no switch) is Indonesia made.
Korea say Ray35 at the headstock. Indonesia says StingRay5 (earlier ones SUB). (Not to confused with the US SUB Series from 2003).

Basses | Sterling by Music Man

Last edited:

Magman

The left one is a Ray35 Natural. On all pictures of this model I have found, it has "MADE IN INDONESIA" and "Ray35" on the headstock.

Top Bottom