• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Samhain

I have a pre game changer Reflex that I absolutely love.
It has the Dimarzio pups with the series/parallel spilt controls, normally I hate that stuff but it’s awesome in my EBMM.
My main bridge choice is the super Distortion and I was wondering if I could just drop one in?
Will the pickup ring have to be changed?
I’d like to retain all the features but with the power of the super D in the bridge.
Anyone have any experience modding the EBMM wiring?

BUC

I'm wondering what a super distortion would sound like in series? And I'm thinking I wouldn't like it?

And then I found this on the Dimarzio website:

The Super Distortion® is primarily a bridge position pickup, although it can be used in the neck position with a relatively low-gain amp. Specifically designed for solid-bodies: hollow and semi-hollow guitars can be hard to control with warm, high output pickups.

Samhain

I’m pretty sure Paul Gilbert ran dual Super Ds in series/parallel. It’s known for its versatility in series, and split.
I’m not worried about it being too hot in the reflex. Even though it’s a chambered body with a tone block, I wouldn’t consider the reflex a semi-hollow body in the practical sense. It’s not a lot hotter than the stock Dimarzio in my reflex now. Little more output, little more lows and low mids.
I think the super D is the greatest pup of all time and would sound amazing with the Reflexes wiring.

Last edited:

Samhain

It’s looking like the problem I’m having is making a super D work with the EBMM pickup ring.

kimonostereo

Shouldn't be a problem for most humbucking pickups without a cover. I swapped out the standard pickups for Suhr Thornbuckers in my 25th without issue. Pay attention to how the rubber gasket keeps the pickups screws attached and you should be fine.

Top Bottom