• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

silverman

I am lucky enough to own both a cutlass hss and a cutlass sss rs. I am looking to swap the pick guard and Hum-bucker for the Single coil. Does anyone have a diagram or pics of how I might accomplish this? Would it be a easier to just swap the guard and the HB, or swap the entire PU/PG apparatus? Thanks.

Last edited:

jmmp

The first step would be checking the routing of the pickups. If your RS is only routed for 3 single could, you’d need to remove some wood to get the humbuckers in there.

silverman

The first step would be checking the routing of the pickups. If your RS is only routed for 3 single could, you’d need to remove some wood to get the humbuckers in there.

I am pretty certain that all the cutlass are routed HSS. If not, it no longer becomes worth it to me to swap the out.

I know how to handle a PU swap, but the addition of the electronics in the cutlass and the battery power makes me wonder if there is anything more complicated that I should be aware of.

GWDavis28

Take the pick guard off, I'm pretty sure the SSS is routed as SSS only. Since the HSS is newer adding the SSS pick guard to it won't be an issue. You could always do what EBMM use to do to make pick guards hot swappable is to add a molex connector in the wiring. As for the electronics drop CS an email asking for both wiring diagrams.

Glenn |B)

guitardan

I am pretty certain that all the cutlass are routed HSS. If not, it no longer becomes worth it to me to swap the out.

I know how to handle a PU swap, but the addition of the electronics in the cutlass and the battery power makes me wonder if there is anything more complicated that I should be aware of.

I recently tried installing a DiMarzio Injector in the bridge of my SSS (SSS routed). And the result was not favorable. The sound was thin and almost out of phase by itself or in the 2 position. EBMM sent me the wiring diagrams for both, and they are different. (PM me if you'd like me to email them)
The HSS has a resistor and jumpers on the switch. Guessing the jumpers are for the coil tap in #2. Not sure what the resistor does, but it may have something to do w/ matching it into the silent circuit.

jones4tone

Since the introduction of the HSS model, they are all routed the same, I believe, but the early original, SSS Cutlass bodies were routed SSS.

tbonesullivan

Maybe try a nice hot rail single coil first? Definitely will get you more OOMPH but also will leave you closer to the single coil pickups.

Injector pickups are also nice, but they don't have the same oomph as rails or a full size humbucker.

Top Bottom