• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Exodus5

So I just recently bought my second JPX and noticed something...other than the drummer tryout video, I don’t recall him ever playing the JPX. Am I just missing instances of him using it? Or maybe as he maybe not as happy with it as other models?

johnnyboogie

Good question!! =D

I haven't seen him using it on stage. I have been wondering the same thing. That 5-position switch... Bad choice if you ask me, on an otherwise BEAUTIFUL instrument.

jmmp

Good question!! =D

I haven't seen him using it on stage. I have been wondering the same thing. That 5-position switch... Bad choice if you ask me, on an otherwise BEAUTIFUL instrument.

I haven’t had the privilege to see DT live yet, but didn’t the JPX release come between tours and records? I think JP already had JPXI prototypes for the recording of ADTOE, whereas the X came about towards the end of BC&SL tour. Perhaps he used it on that tour.

The five way switch and chambering is why I want a JPX. The jumbo frets keep me away, though. I have a different brand guitar with HH configuration and a 5 way switch and love the switching options it has. Out of the entire JP line, I’d venture the JPX is the most different, especially considering the order the models were released (JP6, BFR, X, XI, etc...)

Exodus5

Good question!! =D

Oh yes definitely beautiful. I actually just took it back to Guitar Center last night after realizing the Piezo was not working on the E-string. Truth be told I don’t like the painted neck and I didn’t realize with the first one but I really don’t like the five position selector location when I’m playing on the next pick up. I hit it all the time. I swapped it out for a Luke BFR in Hazel burst, and I think that’s much more my style.

Last edited:

PeteDuBaldo

Maddi has talked about stage use of the JPX with me in the past, hopefully he can stop in and summarize JP's usage so I don't mis-type anything!

From what I remember about the creation of it, it was viewed as a chance to try chambering in the JP line after the 25th Anniversary EBMM came out (chambered body, 5-way toggle, eventually became the Reflex model), much like how the very first BFR prototype came from building a JP based on the 20th Anniversary Silhouette (alder body, tone block, maple cap).

7enderbender

No idea, but it may not be the only "JP" guitar that he isn't actually using. I've seen very little actual footage other than promotional videos of him using a JP15 either.
But who cares really? I actually picked mine despite (!) it being a signature model - and I am actually a big DT and JP fan. But I still prefer making things my own and don't need somebody else's name on the headstock. But then again, I have a Les Paul and a Washburn N4 also that I adore. Go figure.
The JP guitars are well-made, very versatile workhorses, each model with a slightly different spin. I'm actually gasing after a second one (black 6 string this time vs the green 7 string I have).

JP16 may actually be another one that was made with a different audience in mind but probably doesn't get much use by the man himself.

Exodus5

Well, I guess he has too many different signature guitars to choose from.

Lax

I may write something wrong, but wasn't one of his live guitars having a unique green drawing on the body being a JPX ? Or maybe a grey one.

johnnyboogie

I may write something wrong, but wasn't one of his live guitars having a unique green drawing on the body being a JPX ? Or maybe a grey one.

The one with the green custom graphic is a JPXI. The grey one you are talking about is probably the one with the perforated aluminium top. JPXI as well.

Lou

I dont recall JP using the JPX live when I've seen DT. There isn't much evidence in pictures. Based on JPs track record of testing out products on the road, he's most certainly used it live at some point. Maddi would know for sure what the extent of that was.

Vadauco

Am I just missing instances of him using it? Or maybe as he maybe not as happy with it as other models?

John used the JPX in a few gigs during 2010 tour.

My bet is that he didn't bond with the 5-way switch, otherwise we would have seen it in newer models.

lifeson1

I was in the same boat . . Loved everything about that guitar EXCEPT the five way blade switch. For live use, it just killed me in the mixed rock/hard rock cover band(s) I was playing in. My strumming patterns would inadvertently knock my pickup position out. . . constantly.

Tonally, though - it was a monster. But I'm grateful now to the Majesty, which I have been using consistently since its inception. Now, if I could just get one on Barolo. . .

Jp6Fanatic

I was in the same boat . . Loved everything about that guitar EXCEPT the five way blade switch. For live use, it just killed me in the mixed rock/hard rock cover band(s) I was playing in. My strumming patterns would inadvertently knock my pickup position out. . . constantly.

Tonally, though - it was a monster. But I'm grateful now to the Majesty, which I have been using consistently since its inception. Now, if I could just get one on Barolo. . .

A barolo majesty would be stunning. I need one of those in my life now haha.

KDude

The man seems like a living, breathing R&D department..

Is there anything in current use taking nods from the 25th anymore? Makes me sad.

Top Bottom