• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

asyntek

I wonder which guitar could be versatile enough to deliver JPetrucci, Toto and "Stratish" tones in a single axe.

LUKE III BFR's transition pickups could deliver good Petrucci high gain tones?
JP15 or JP BFR could deliver a nice "strat" neck tone comparable to LUKE III?

Unfortunately I have to choose only one. I appreciate your advise and insights.

Fro

Get the Luke III.

Full disclosure, I own a LIII and have never played a JP so I’m not a good source for advice.

fusionid

ahh. They both can do JP, toto and stratish. I prefer the luke for stratty tones because the neck pup is a bit swampy but in a good way not unlike a strat neck pup when overdriven. The split coils are superb.

But really the real difference is how they play. Different necks and fret size. It comes down to your personal preference.

mrmckinney

I, too, suggest the LIII. I have both the HH and the HSS. The HH is so stinking good... seriously... the 2 and 4 positions are very, very straty, I think even more straty than the HSS version. I have never owned a Petrucci model so I cannot comment to those but the Luke III is my favorite EBMM out of the 8 models I have or have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulg2uk

LIII for me too, I used to have a jp15 fantastic guitars but I have to agree the Luke's have a good Strat tone. You can get close on the JP if you coil tap it and select the middle position on the pickup switch plus it has the piezo option as well.

Personally I prefer the neck on the Luke very easy to play I think. I'm fortunate to own 2 LIII's at the moment and I just love them both. It's best to try them both to see which you prefer.

Lou

HSS Luke will get you way better strat tones

asyntek

Guys, thank you for your suggestions. I will try to test both.

@mikeller how does your Majesty bridge and neck pickup compare with your L3 HH and vs. your L3 HSS?.
Is it true that the L3 HH neck pickup is in the muddy side?

QuietSpike

“Should I have the lobster, or the filet?”

Can’t lose either way.

Do you prefer thin, flat, fast necks? Or thicker, smooth, rounder neck?
I think that’s a bigger preference differentiator than pick up config. They play pretty differently.

And, does 22 vs 24 frets make any difference to you?

mikeller

Guys, thank you for your suggestions. I will try to test both.

@mikeller how does your Majesty bridge and neck pickup compare with your L3 HH and vs. your L3 HSS?.
Is it true that the L3 HH neck pickup is in the muddy side?

For me, and what I play, I very much prefer the pickups on the L3 (both HH and HSS) to the pickups on the Majesty. Majesty pickups are very loud/high output. I find nothing muddy whatsoever about the L3HH neck pickup, quite the opposite.

johnnyboogie

One should never be bothered when it comes to pickups. You can always experiment with pickups until you find your favourite ones. The best for you may be something far from JP's or Lukather's taste.

The instrument itself is the most important aspect. How it fits your body, your hands' positioning,. 22 vs. 24 frets as was very adequately put above, neck profile, the bridge, which one you find more beautiful etc. Sadly or not, the only way to address these questions is by testing those instruments. Or, you can always take a leap of faith =)

asyntek

I am leaning towards the L3, due to neck profile.
Then I guess the old question will arise: L3 HH or HSS? There is a thread about it.

I will try to test both, soon. Thank you for your feedback

tbonesullivan

Both HH and SSH are good. Depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. The electronics makes the volume drop off for the singles quite a bit less than other designs. The singles are noiseless stacked singles, but they have a great sound. Its probably the ONLY SSH guitar I have played that I really like. The volume drop off with the singles always kills me.

look_at_her

I have LIII hss but also wanted to buy JP15 to enhance my tonal palette with piezo and higher output HH pickups . Ended up purchasing Majesty due to great deal I was offered .
Both are great guitars but , as said above , fillet vs lobster - two different beasts .

Last edited:

Axis_SC

I have LIII hss but also wanted to buy JP15 to enhance my tonal palette with piezo and higher output HH pickups . Ended up purchasing Majesty due to great deal I was offered .
Both are great guitars but , as said above , fillet vs lobster - two different beasts .

I've done exactly this coincidentally... I have an HSS BFR LIII and just bought a quilt top J15 that arrives Friday. I plan on gigging them both later in the month. I'll post a basic review after I spend some time with the JP15 on the weekend

Axis_SC

Looking forward to check your review. Have fun!

OK... I've had almost a week to play on the JP15 and will gig both it and the BFR Luke III...I can't say I like one over the other! Both are such stellar, impeccable quality instruments, they make my 5 Fenders Strats (which I normally gig 2 of) seem like sub-standard, shoddily crafted guitars, but Strats do their "thing" as well. My plan is to bring my HSS Luke III to replace bringing an HSS Strat to gigs, and either bring the JP or a USA Sig EVH Wolfgang for my HH guitar.

Now functional versatility, the JP wins with its ability to coil split and engage the piezo pickup, no doubt. It's pickups are hotter, but never muddy through my amps... Even the neck pickup doesn't get flubby, which I just LOVE. I hate when a neck pickup is too boomy or too fat on the low strings. This neck & bridge pickup are very articulate and usable. The guitar looks and sounds TITS and the build quality, I'd put up there higher than most out there and with any other high end or custom manufacturer... Same for the Luke. The sustain on both are insane... Like Les Paul long...

Now the Luke... Can definitely get those authentic single coil tones... Since it has single coils, haha... But without the typical 60 cycle hum of singles. It also maintains volume if switching between them and the humbucker. Both of my guitars have SS frets and I'll never go to anything other than that. Bends are glassy smooth and effortless.... The neck on the JP definitely thinner. Neither for me, require any adjusting to or "getting use to". If I were to wish both necks were identical, I'd go with the Luke. But MAN is that roasted flame maple neck on the JP f'n gorgeous! The 24 frets on the JP are nice too... No real adjustment necessary.

I'll be keeping both and I'm sure both will kick ass live. I've not played either at our gigs so can hopefully post a vid within a couple weeks of using one or the other, or both at a gig I have on the 20th...at stage volume levels through the amp & PA.

Hope this gives an overview and feel free to ask any questions you might have

Last edited:
Top Bottom