• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

silverman

I know that the Cutlass HB is a it bright on it's own, but I wonder if tapping the humbucker when switching to the between pickup setting will make give it a bit more of that classic Strat position 2 quackery that we all know and love. Has anyone tried this?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Well, first the stock Cutlass humbucker is not splittable. Second, from my experience with the Silhouette Special half a humbucker is both brighter AND weaker than a single coil so there is a noticeable volume drop when you put it in parallel with a middle single, which some people like (it's common on a lot of guitars out there) but I personally don't like it. I rewired my Silhouette special to get full humbucker + middle for exactly this reason. Third, having had it both ways, I'd say that split humbucker + middle single doesn't quack any better or worse than full humbucker + middle.

Also note that part of the strat quack is that the two pickups are closer in output and tone than is the case with a single coil and a humbucker (either full or split). You could try adjusting the height and bass-treble balance of the pickups to maximize the quack but you may not be happy with the tone and volumes of the pickups on their own.

Honestly, I think that if we want a more strat-like position 2 we need a bridge single coil. Personally, I'm a bridge humbucker kind of guy and I'm happy to accept position 2 as it is (similar to a strat position 2 but it's own unique thing) rather than wanting the HSS Cutlass to be something it's not.

Top Bottom