• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

7enderbender

Been playing my JP15-7 a lot lately and I'm re-assessing my strap. I opted for a slightly wider (2.5"+) Levy leather strap with some faux green gator coating on top. Looks pretty cool with the green flame top but turns out to be a bit stiffer than I like. Been loosening it up a bit and it's getting better. Actually also ordered new Schaller "S-Locks" which are supposedly noise-free unlike the original Schallers that I currently use on most guitars.

I could just bite the bullet and get another Moody strap of the same kind I use on my Strats. But I also like the DiMarzio ClipLocks (the JPB model may or may not be an obvious choice her - certainly looks nice and are quickly adjustable) but know from other guitars that the do ding up the finish a bit, especially at the bottom.

What are you guys using and why?

37842787982_2241549539_o.jpg

Last edited:

MesaBeno

Same Dimarzio strap JP uses, because it's about the shortest I can find and I like my guitar sitting nice and high on me. I also like the clip-on aspect of them, and the fact that I can swap the same strap between my 2 guitars by installing the Dimarzio clip locks on both of them.

mikeller

When I play gigs, I use the same strap on my guitars - a Levy's MSS80 2" padded leather strap. My guitars all all similar enough in size & shape that one straps works for all, which is perfect because I use a wireless guitar system and have the transmitter attached to the strap.

tbonesullivan

I tend to use basic straps on all of my guitars. However, I currently use the Ernie Ball locks on all of my EBMM guitars. They are noiseless, and I find that they have eliminated all of the downsides of both the Schaller and Dunlop designs. I also like that the removal latch requires two fingers to work, which ensures you never have them fall out by accident.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I have two Levys 2" straps (MSS8 polypropylene and MSSR8 Rayon) both in black. The Rayon strap is particularly lovely. Because of those I was going to order another in brown for the Cutlass. When I got the guitar I ordered an Ernie Ball polypro strap, just to have something quick and cheap until I ordered the good strap.. Ya know what? It's cheap as chips, clearly lower quality than the Levy's, but I love it! It's super light weight, the brown matches the rosewood on the guitar, and it's almost nearly just as comfortable as the Levy's straps. I'm keeping it!

Oh, and EB Super Locks.Only Super Locks! I gave the Schallers away to my guitar students. (And I feel a little bad about that.)

Last edited:

Astrofreq

I don't have any JP guitars, but I really dig Couch straps and I have one Jodi Head hootenanny strap. I used to use Dimarzio clip-locks, but finally abandoned them for something with more flair and personality. :)

spychocyco

I have a thing about matching straps to guitars. On most of mine, I've got Perri's 2.5-inch leather graphic straps, with a graphic that matches the color or feel of the guitar in most cases. I also have a couple of Walker & Williams straps that I like. I put the DiMarzio cliplocks on the guitars I built last year, and I have cheaper straps on my cheaper guitars.

Etudica

I'm only 5'4" and prefer the guitar higher up as well. That being said, I wish the dimarzio clip lock leather version would work for me, but it's just too long even at it's minimum length. For some reason the non-leather versions are able to be adjusted smaller than the leather version. Dumb. Anyway, because of this I use the standard clip locks for one of my lighter JPs, but for my JPXI-7, which is quite heavy, I use the planet waves ratcheting leather strap.

While I have zero issues with my planet waves leather straps, I can't recommend them anymore. I have the original version from a few years ago, but they have since updated the design. Everything about the new design seems wrong to me, from the super cheap feeling release tab to the "non-mar" finish on the ends. I gave up searching for the original design. It seems there are non left. (If anyone out there has the original planet waves leather version that they don't use I'd gladly buy it off you!)

PeteDuBaldo

I tend to color-coordinate the straps to the guitar, with no regard to brand/mfg. I do set them all so the guitar is at the same spot on my body, measured at the high E string at the neck pickup.

E-standard
DMC JP - Black EB polypro
Gold Sparkle Majesty - EB Gold Sparkle leather strap (one of the old ones from 2010?)
Blue Dawn JP - currently strapless
Molten Gemstone JP7 - Some hideous 2" red snakeskin leather strap, no brand

E-flat
JPXI - 2.5" silver/zebra leather strap, no brand
Dargie JP - Custom 2.5 leather strap with DD Martini embroidery (from double-treble)
sbmm Sapphire Maj- EB Jacquard/polypro in blue

Astrofreq

I'm only 5'4" and prefer the guitar higher up as well. That being said, I wish the dimarzio clip lock leather version would work for me, but it's just too long even at it's minimum length. For some reason the non-leather versions are able to be adjusted smaller than the leather version. Dumb. Anyway, because of this I use the standard clip locks for one of my lighter JPs, but for my JPXI-7, which is quite heavy, I use the planet waves ratcheting leather strap.

Dimarzio will shorten the straps for free. I used to have them do this because they seemed way too unreasonably long.

cbc83

I never thought about straps... I'm still using the basic, black leather strap that came with my first electric 23 years ago :) And its the only one I got.

Etudica

Oh, and EB Super Locks.Only Super Locks! I gave the Schallers away to my guitar students. (And I feel a little bad about that.)

Wow, I can't believe I never knew about the EB super locks. How in the hell did I miss this? Gonna order some right now.

Dimarzio will shorten the straps for free. I used to have them do this because they seemed way too unreasonably long.

Also did not know this. Thanks radrock. Some good stuff in this thread so far.

7enderbender

Thanks for all the replies. Quick update on my quest:
Looking to keep the green Levy strap in the picture of my original post. Was able to loosen it up quite a bit.
I ordered a new set of Schaller “S locks”. Nice idea with the new longer post and thumbwheel design. Unfortunately, the design of the new actual strap button (noiseless) is stupid in that it entails a fixed screw that is thicker and shorter than the original screws used on the JP15. Not going to widen those screw holes. At which point the new design becomes kind of pointless though they are supposedly compatible with the older Schaller buttons. Didn’t trust that and I’m keeping the old ones. They rattle a bit but at least I know from 25 years of experience that they work (for a good 10 years or so before they wear out).

dave1812

I use the DiMarzio Clip Lock Straps on all my Balls.
I got the wider strap for my JP7 and my Bongo 5.

beej

Btw the S Locks work fine with the older buttons. I've got the new locks on my straps and mostly old buttons on my guitars.

Top Bottom