• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ang3lus

i LOVE the tremolo on the JP6 and want to get another musicman model with a trem, i was thinking about the AL or maybe a silo, but it seems the tremolo system is different by a bit.

has anyone had experinece with some of the trem models and can comment about the differences and similarties ?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I don't have a JP6 to make that specific comparison but between the vintage trem on the Silhouette Special and the new modern trem on the Cutlass (which is imilar to the Majesty)...

The saddles on the newer trem have a grooved top for the strings rather than the older style which have a gentle V-shape. The intonation adjustment on the newer bridge is 2 mm hex key rather than screw driver. Newer trem has ablack anodized block of somethign or other, the vintage trem is brass. I have not measured but I think the blocks are similar dimensions though the cavities are different sizes; smaller on the Silhouette Special. With extreme trem use the Cutlass will not hit the cavity walls, the Silhouette's trem will. Also note the mounting posts positions - the newer trem avoids any possibility of the saddles hitting the posts. The bridge plate is clearly larger too. The trem arms are slightly different in length and height but it use sit in about the same place under your hand.

In use the two bridges feel very similar and both perform beautifully. I have them set up identically with identical strings and in a blindfold test I'm not sure I could tell them apart, and if I did, it may be just down to differences in the springs.

Attachments

• Modern1.jpg
    Modern1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Modern2.jpg
    Modern2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 764
  • Modern3.jpg
    Modern3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Modern4.jpg
    Modern4.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

tbonesullivan

All of the trems that Music Man makes are good. The JP trem is probably a bit more robustly built, and it's also designed to be able to have a piezo. It has a cover on it, which the "vintage" tremolos don't have, and it is also recessed and floating, while most EBMM trems are non-recessed and shipped with the tremolo decked.

However, pretty much all of them can be set to float with about a half/whole step up up bend on the G. They are all quality Two point trems with hardened steel base plates. Quality.

BrickGlass

The vintage trems are excellent and can easily be set to float or be flush with the body, allowing only the lowering of pitch. I prefer for them to float like Mr. Lukather and they hold tuning incredibly well. The JP trems are different as described in a previous post, and they are actually even more stable. Both work better with some lubricant to help return to correct tuning pitch, at least in my experience. The JP trems are the most stable I’ve ever played besides a well set up Floyd Rose. MM really did a damn good job on their trem systems.

RSG

All of the trems that Music Man makes are good. The JP trem is probably a bit more robustly built, and it's also designed to be able to have a piezo. It has a cover on it, which the "vintage" tremolos don't have, and it is also recessed and floating, while most EBMM trems are non-recessed and shipped with the tremolo decked.

However, pretty much all of them can be set to float with about a half/whole step up up bend on the G. They are all quality Two point trems with hardened steel base plates. Quality.

The vintage style trems (ASS, Silo, AL) can also have piezo saddles.

Tollywood

I used to swear by the Floyd Rose but I actually prefer the Music Man tremolo now. You can be more delicate with it; you don’t have to man handle it like a Floyd.

Top Bottom