• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

alex_herndon

Hello all, new to the group and hopefully soon to be an owner of an Ernie Ball instrument.
Looking at a Luke 3. Gentleman that has the guitar, says it was a Guitar Center exclusive. It is light blue bursting into a darker blue on the outside of the guitar. Has all the specs of a Luke 3. Rosewood neck. Gorgeous guitar but I cannot find any info on when Ernie Ball did an "exclusive Guitar Center" guitar.
Any help? Maybe a value of what they sold for? Thanks all!

mikeller

That was the Bali Burst exclusive to Guitar Center. As far as value that's a tough call. They are not real plentiful and the Rosewood neck Luke III's seem to be bringing good prices on the used market. I believe they were made around 2014 I think.

alex_herndon

Thanks for the reply, that would be the one! Hoping to make the deal happen within a few days. We'll see. It's the HSS config, which from what I can tell, is pretty rare as well. Will keep this thread updated once I get the guitar

GWDavis28

Thanks for the reply, that would be the one! Hoping to make the deal happen within a few days. We'll see. It's the HSS config, which from what I can tell, is pretty rare as well. Will keep this thread updated once I get the guitar

I believe that there is a Luke 3 like this on Reverb, but don't remember if it's HH or SSH.

Glenn |B)

vuduhwy

Alex, I'd like to see a pic of that thing! I've been toying with the idea of selling a guitar or two and buying a Luke of some variety.

alex_herndon

Only one I see is a JP. Not sure though. I can't find another Bali Burst Luke 3 with a rosewood neck anywhere.

mikeller

I looked on Reverb - nothing current at all. Guitar Center has had a few used ones here and there, but nothing showing up. Good luck - that is a stunning finish and the rosewood necks are amazing!!!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
As far as I recall the only unique thing about those guitars was the color. All LIIIs at that point in time were all-rosewood necks (that was the orginal production spec but Lukather changed preference after a few years and roasted maple became the production spec to match). They were exclusive to GC but a lot were made because GC was ordering for all their stores at that point in time. I don't recall that they were higher priced than other LIIIs (but in any case a lot of unsold stock were sold at a discounts a few years later, before GC decided that brands like EBMM would only be stocked in the best performing stores to avoid lots of left-over stock of 'boutique' brands).

So the only question for you is this - what's it worth to you? Personally, I wouldn't pay much more than for any other LIII in similar condition, but that's just me.

FWIW, I do recall playing one in GC near Buffalo, it was a great guitar. The all-rosewood neck was wonderful!

alex_herndon

As far as I recall the only unique thing about those guitars was the color. All LIIIs at that point in time were all-rosewood necks (that was the orginal production spec but Lukather changed preference after a few years and roasted maple became the production spec to match). They were exclusive to GC but a lot were made because GC was ordering for all their stores at that point in time. I don't recall that they were higher priced than other LIIIs (but in any case a lot of unsold stock were sold at a discounts a few years later, before GC decided that brands like EBMM would only be stocked in the best performing stores to avoid lots of left-over stock of 'boutique' brands).

So the only question for you is this - what's it worth to you? Personally, I wouldn't pay much more than for any other LIII in similar condition, but that's just me.

FWIW, I do recall playing one in GC near Buffalo, it was a great guitar. The all-rosewood neck was wonderful!

Think it would be worth $1500? That is what I'll have in it.

alex_herndon

I am super excited. Once I get the guitar, I'll update you guys. Thanks for the info and thanks for the support.

alex_herndon

So, the deal didnt work for the Luke 3. Maybe I'll try again in the future.
BUT! I am now the owner of a 2018 EB Stingray RS in the HH config.

Thanks for the help everyone! Stoked to be an Ernie Ball player now.

Top Bottom