• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TonyEVH5150

I’m in the market for an EVH, and there’s a few on eBay that have caught my eye. They’re in Japan, and the prices aren’t bad. Has anyone in the USA bought from Japan? What was your experience? Any pitfalls or things I should be aware of?

johnnyboogie

Customs fees upon receiving the guitar. Import fees that is, for bringing an item from anywhere outside your corresponding continent. You should expect an additional 30% of the initial price, or something close to that.

Razzle

That's good advice @johnnyboogie. I see people asking a lot about japan guitars, and it's not just EBMMs. It seems like many instruments are sold in the japanese market that for some reason you just don't see over here in the states. Personally I've never pulled the trigger on any of them.

Good luck @TonyEVH5150 !

johnnyboogie

That's good advice @johnnyboogie. I see people asking a lot about japan guitars, and it's not just EBMMs. It seems like many instruments are sold in the japanese market that for some reason you just don't see over here in the states. Personally I've never pulled the trigger on any of them.

Good luck @TonyEVH5150 !

Indeed, the Japanese market has amazing stuff circulating. Not to mention that Japanese vendors are by far some of the best you can find.

dibart77

Here's what has worked for me: Have the seller mark very clearly in the description of the item "Electric guitar originally manufactured by Music Man in California, USA. Made in USA."

The thinking is that they can't tax/duty you for importing something that was Made in USA. The point of the duty is to charge you a fee to bring in foreign goods. This is bringing in an American-made item.

I have imported 3 EVH's from Japan without paying any duty/import tax. I can't say for sure it'll work, but it worked 3x for me.

TonyEVH5150

Here's what has worked for me: Have the seller mark very clearly in the description of the item "Electric guitar originally manufactured by Music Man in California, USA. Made in USA."

The thinking is that they can't tax/duty you for importing something that was Made in USA. The point of the duty is to charge you a fee to bring in foreign goods. This is bringing in an American-made item.

I have imported 3 EVH's from Japan without paying any duty/import tax. I can't say for sure it'll work, but it worked 3x for me.

Thanks. I had thought bringing a USA made guitar back to the US negated the import tax/duty fee. I bought an EBMM from Canada that didn’t charge me for duty. I’ll see if that’s something I can have the seller do.

johnnyboogie

Makes sense. If only that was the case for the rest of the globe =D

dibart77

Again, if it doesn't work, don't be mad at me! :D I might have just gotten lucky. But that is what SEEMS to have worked for me.

MM Luke

That's what works for me as well

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom