• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Stingray 4 Nut

I'm very interested in buying one but all the pictures I see on the web doesn't look like translucent to me. I simply can't see the wood through the cream paint. Where I live can't see one in person. Is there anyone here that have one of these to tell me what it looks like? Can you see the wood grain through the paint like a Mary Kay? Thanks.

Bert

Never see one of those (limited to 90 pieces) in person too.
The Mary Kay Finishes were mostly done on Ash and the Smoothie has an alder body.
Alder tends to have less grain than ash.
The Stingray 5 30th Anniversary Bass should have the same finish - but ash body.
But I would love to see pictures too.

Stingray 4 Nut

Never see one of those (limited to 90 pieces) in person too.
The Mary Kay Finishes were mostly done on Ash and the Smoothie has an alder body.
Alder tends to have less grain than ash.
The Stingray 5 30th Anniversary Bass should have the same finish - but ash body.
But I would love to see pictures too.

I couldn't see the grain on the Stingray 5 39th also, but again, I never saw one in person.

Edmang

Ones I saw could not see the grain. But still are gorgeous basses.

Tomservo_Crow

I have a stingray 5 30th anniversary.
You can see some grain if you get up close and look really hard. Definitely not obvious though, and looks solid without a close inspection.

tbonesullivan

It is SUBTLE, and if there's anything that correctly describes the "buttercream" finish, it's SUBTLE. It's just enough to give it a little pop, but not enough to overpower it. Just a truly well thought-out and nuanced color.

I did see an anniversary SR5 at Guitar Center near Bethesda, and it really is a work of art. They put a lot of thought into the design of both the physical guitar, and the preamp. Yeah... magical. If I had my SR5H with me, I would have considered trading it in...

Top Bottom