• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bass Control

Hey BP! Quick question: you've always said that you love the single-H Bongo. In your thoughts, how does it compare to the single-H Stingray Special? Have you started gravitating towards the Stingray Special or do you stand by your single-H Bongo?

cellkirk74

I was just wondering if the new Stingray uses the pickup that was first developed for the Big Al H? From the specs as far as I found them this might be the case.

Edmang

Wasn't the Big Al H ceramic? The new Stingray pickup is neodymium. So at least that is different. The single coils on the Big Al SSS were neodymium.

drTStingray

Wasn't the Big Al H ceramic? The new Stingray pickup is neodymium. So at least that is different. The single coils on the Big Al SSS were neodymium.

I think it was. My take on the Stingray Special, having used a 4HHS for a couple of months is the sound is pure Stingray through and through - just with more power and a different frequency centre on the mid range - not like a Bongo sound at all. The one element reminiscent of a Bongo is the amount and sound of the bass boost available. The whole package is great and I was reminded how much better those new tuners feel when I made fine adjustments before our second set in a packed and very warm pub on Saturday night - they're thicker in the middle and just feel really nice and sturdy, a pleasure to use.

They seem to be selling pretty well around these parts also.

Come to think about it I seem to remember Scott saying the pick ups are neodymium but wound to Stingray specs (or maybe I dreamt it....)

Last edited:
Top Bottom