• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sb69coupe

I saw this posted over on TB from an EBMM dealer, and wanted to ask about the future of the Cutlass and Caprice. I hope they aren't going the way of the Big Al........

"I just received word from Music Man that as of Nov 1st, they will no longer accept orders for Cutlass and Caprice basses. I'm assuming those are going away due to low sales volume. Which is unfortunate, I really dug the 2 or 3 that passed through here."

brash47

I really hope not...and at the same time....phew, just picked up my Cutlass a few weeks ago, so I have both now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bass Control

I've read somewhere that the Bongo and Sterling lines are getting their refreshes next year. Maybe the Caprice and Cutlass are getting the same treatment. To make room for the new production of upgrades/updated instruments in a reasonable amount of time in 2019 (I've read somewhere else of the next JP model scheduled out to April), they are cutting off orders for the "old spec" now.

tbonesullivan

Money talks. The Big Al was a great bass. The 25th Anniversary guitars and basses were great too, as were the Reflex line based on them.

However if they don't sell well, EBMM needs to concentrate on what does.

bovinehost

Administrator
According to highly place sources deep inside SLO, the two basses - Cutlass and Caprice - are being discontinued.

Edmang

According to highly place sources deep inside SLO, the two basses - Cutlass and Caprice - are being discontinued.

Disappointing, but if not selling, makes sense.

After the discontinuance, people will be complaining that they can't get them anymore. Seems the fact you can't get something makes it more desirable.

muggsy

Sorry to hear that. I haven't been in the market for anything bass-related the past few years - last instrument I bought was my amazing Neptune Blue Bongo, and that was 2014. I have been intrigued by those two, particularly the Caprice. But kudos to EBMM for continuing to make the tough decisions. I'm very glad I picked up a Big Al when I had the chance. The moral, as always: if you see something you like, buy it.

bovinehost

Administrator
We dont like to discontinue anything but there are things that will replace them...we are always trying new things

I try to take the long view on these issues. In a purely selfish sense, I have one each of the passive basses and so I'm happy, but I wish we (as a community) were a bit more open to new stuff.

Meypelnek

This is just my humble opinion, but I am assuming a St. Vincent Shortscale is bound to fail. If the Classic Sabre did not make it and if Cutlass and Caprice were not accepted by the customers (as expected) the St. Vincent certainly will sit in the stores, too.

GregP

This is just my humble opinion, but I am assuming a St. Vincent Shortscale is bound to fail. If the Classic Sabre did not make it and if Cutlass and Caprice were not accepted by the customers (as expected) the St. Vincent certainly will sit in the stores, too.

With respect, your conclusion is a bit of a Non Sequitur. The Classic Sabre, Cutlass, and Caprice are all very different instruments. The Classic Sabre was also released at a different time(and geared towards a different audience) than the Cutlass/Caprice...so it's logically problematic to group them all together. As for the St. Vincent how do you arrive at the conclusion that it will fail prior to the model even being released? We know almost next to nothing about it. Again with respect, I think it's premature to jump to such substantive conclusions.

GregP

Just picked up this beauty brand new (NOS?) from guitar center for $1099!!!
Talk about bargain of the century!

32247863448_7714983df6_k.jpg

brash47

Just picked up this beauty brand new (NOS?) from guitar center for $1099!!!
Talk about bargain of the century!

32247863448_7714983df6_k.jpg
Lol!!! Congrats! I got the exact same bass at the exact same price. You folks better get down there and grab em up....my Caprice was only a little bit more.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Meypelnek

With respect, your conclusion is a bit of a Non Sequitur. The Classic Sabre, Cutlass, and Caprice are all very different instruments. The Classic Sabre was also released at a different time(and geared towards a different audience) than the Cutlass/Caprice...so it's logically problematic to group them all together. As for the St. Vincent how do you arrive at the conclusion that it will fail prior to the model even being released? We know almost next to nothing about it. Again with respect, I think it's premature to jump to such substantive conclusions.

You are right: It is just an assumption. I mentioned e.g. the Classic Sabre because it is a fairly "traditional" Music Man Bass. In shape, tonewise and it has been here before. Next to a Stingray it does not look very exotic, if you ask me. Why did people not buy it then? Because it was no Stingray? I have no idea.
Let's look at the St. Vincent bass rumors: Shortscale (not sure if this is true, however) - how big is the interest in shortscale basses in the US? In Europe you do not see them a lot, actually not at all. Form factor: Musicman basses are not cheap. Overseas they are fairly expensive. People go for Stingrays if they spend their money on Musicman. Not for Classic Sabres. Why then for the St. Vincent with its form that leaves many people with questions. Not sure if I made myself clear and I appreciate if you disagree. I wish EBMM luck with every new model and I bought and played any bass model with 5 strings they have ever put to market. But to me it is obvious that if they want to be successful at the market (especially in Europe) new bass models must be close to what people expect from EBMM - and this is basswise the Stingray.

GregP

I certainly do appreciate your opinion. This is one of the things I love about these forums...civil discourse :)
If I understand you correctly you are stating: "Future EBMM models that stand the best chance of success (especially in Europe) are ones that look and sound like a traditional EBMM(Like a Stingray/Sterling)".

I often wonder, if this was in part why the Game Changer bass wasn't more successful. I think even today, it remains one of the most visionary and revolutionary electric bass designs when it comes to it's electronics package. But it's body design didn't really inspire me. It's a nice looking design but it doesn't have the same "emotional punch" for me like looking at my EBMM Sterling.

I personally would love for EBMM to put the Game Changer's electronics in a Stingray or Sterling...that would be killer! I mean they completely unlocked the electric bass...it seems such a shame for that revolutionary tech not to brought back out at some point =)

Top Bottom