• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

YTK

Has Ernie Ball manufactured a 4-string Stingray other than the Old Smoothie with the 10-pole pickup? There is a used Stingray at a shop near me - no mention of Smoothie on the tag/listing but it has the 10-pole and mutes. It's priced just in that spot where it's a little high (but not insane) for a Stingray and a little low (but not insane) for a Smoothie, l and I'm curious if it might be incorrectly labeled? I do not have a serial # for it. It DOES have the 40th label on the headstock which makes me think Smoothie, but I'm just not familiar enough with the models to know for sure.

Edmang

Sounds like a smoothie to me. Not aware of any other bass that has those features.

YTK

Sounds like a smoothie to me. Not aware of any other bass that has those features.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm thinking the same but it's always good to have some supporting info.

tbonesullivan

The original smoothie was a prototype never put into production. I don't think they produced any like it until the current version.

YTK

Has Ernie Ball manufactured a 4-string Stingray other than the Old Smoothie with the 10-pole pickup? There is a used Stingray at a shop near me - no mention of Smoothie on the tag/listing but it has the 10-pole and mutes. It's priced just in that spot where it's a little high (but not insane) for a Stingray and a little low (but not insane) for a Smoothie, l and I'm curious if it might be incorrectly labeled? I do not have a serial # for it. It DOES have the 40th label on the headstock which makes me think Smoothie, but I'm just not familiar enough with the models to know for sure.

I was able to confirm it is in fact a Smoothie (10 pole/mutes/2-band/40th anny decal/etc.). After AB'ing it with some 3-band Stingrays, I decided the more classic sound is not for me. Really appreciate all the responses, very impressed with my first EB forum experience.

Side note: bass is still a great deal - it would be tied for the the cheapest Smoothie on Reverb at the moment. If anyone is interested send me a PM and I'd be happy to share the link to the shop.

Top Bottom