• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bassmanmicah

Hello!

Today I just took delivery of a new to me Majesty guitar. Beautiful instrument, and the neck feels killer. However, I am having a couple issues with the push/push pots. When I first engaged the boost on the volume pot, it crackled quite a bit, but I believe that is just a dirty pot. Turning it on and off a couple times seemed to help. However, when I engaged the coil split on the tone pot, I ran into some issues. When I pushed it back down, it did not stay down. The coil split is still engaged, and the knob is still in the up position. It has quite a bit of ground noise when I touch it. Not sure if that is because it is in single coil mode. I thought perhaps the knob was too far down on the shaft, but when I went to take it off, the rubber grommet ended up tearing as well. I took the knob off, but still did not fix it. So now, the guitar is frustratingly stuck in single coil mode. I have reached out to Customer Service with the issue, but thought I would try and get advice here for now. The guitar was bought new in 2017, and was in pristine condition. Now though, it needs a new knob, and I'm not sure where to start on the pot.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

Micah

beej

Depending on when you bought it, it might still be under warranty. If not, replacing a pot is an easy fix and you can get it from MM.

I'd drop the customer service guys a note and ask their advice. (Link in my signature.)

johnnyboogie

You could try removing the knob, and screwing it back on in order to fix the issue. I believe I have encountered the same thing myself.

In case you do not know already, you have to remove the rubber band form the knob in order to access the allen-type screw. I use a pick in order to remove it. Work your way slowly in order not to tear the rubber band.

bassmanmicah

Thank you both. The first thing I tried was removing the knob, and wouldn't you know it, the rubber grommet broke on me when I went to move it. So no matter what, I'm already out buying a new knob. lol I actually removed all 3 knobs on my old JP6 when I had it with no problem, but this one just tore in half.

I did send an email to customer service right before posting on here, but I have not heard back yet. I had heard that with the push/push pot you can't just replace the pot, but have to replace the whole circuit board. Is this the case does anyone know?

I have included a link to a quick video I sent the seller to show them the problem:

Majesty tone pot issue - YouTube

Unfortunately, the guitar was bought by them new last year sometime, but I bought on the used market. Got a nice deal on it, although, not so nice if it doesn't work. Hoping it is a fairly easy fix.

bassmanmicah

It's still stuck in the upper position, and won't return to the lower one? Having removed the knob I mean.

Yep, that's correct. I thought maybe the knob was too low on the shaft, preventing it from going back to the down / humbucker position. But that wasn't the case. Even with the knob off, it will not go back to the down position.

johnnyboogie

Knob being too low on the shaft was my thought indeed, have you tried revolving the upper side of the pot in case it's just stuck? I'm not positive, but I think I faced this issue once myself and it simply unstuck while lightly tampering with it in a clockwise motion.

bassmanmicah

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that as well, and no luck. EBMM Customer Service finally emailed me back yesterday indicating that it sounded like a fault in the push/push tone pot, and said that part, along with a new knob or grommet can be purchased through them. They asked for my location and serial number, and while I replied within minutes, I am waiting to hear back. Hopefully the part is not too expensive, and that they can provide schematics or a diagram to assist in replacing it. More waiting, but hopefully I can get it taken care of soon.

mildew

Bumping thread to thank for useful info, i need to replace tone pot in my 2015 majesty and had no idea of how to remove the knob, now i can proceed :)

Araman

Hello, same problem here with Majesty 2020. I have contacted the Music Man customer service.... and the potentiometer (volume) must be replaced as removing the knob the problem persists.
I am going to get in touch with my local distributor (Italy) in order to get the replacement part (no. M06007).

Just to know, the pot for the preamp V2 has to be soldered or are the wiring made mechanically by contact ?

Thank you

Araman

Hello, same problem here with Majesty 2020. I have contacted the Music Man customer service.... and the potentiometer (volume) must be replaced as removing the knob the problem persists.
I am going to get in touch with my local distributor (Italy) in order to get the replacement part (no. M06007).

Just to know, the pot for the preamp V2 has to be soldered or are the wiring made mechanically by contact ?

Thank you

Ok, I have just received the spare potentiometer... with the soldering instruction!!!

I am very upset about having to solder 9 very small pins on the printed circuit board, using not very explanatory instructions without causing damage. Among other things I think the whole preamp board must be extracted in order to solder the pot due to the limited space available. I will therefore be forced to pay a technician for the work, for 1 potentiometer of a guitar !!! Music Man should review this, perhaps simplifying the operation in some way or at least providing the entire preamp with detailed instructions to those who are under warranty. I repeat, very upset and disappointed.

Attachments

• Poi1.jpg
    Poi1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Pot2.jpg
    Pot2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

beej

So this guitar is under warranty? If so, I would put this back on your dealer to take care of it. That's what they're there for.

Araman

Ok, I asked the distributor for support and let's see what he will say; probably it will ask me to send the guitar for repair, However without wanting to question the quality of the instruments made by Music Man, I find the solution of the potentiometers with flex PCB very inconvenient, and in the long run it will create many problems for replacements to Music Man itself. I can't imagine what will happen in 10 years. Perhaps the solution of the V1 preamp was better, at least only for the potentiometers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom