• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

vaughan

Hi, All!

Weird question- Does anyone know if a Bongo 5 neck would fit on a Big Al 5 body? I'm not sure if the necks are 1:1 aside from the added frets.

Thanks & enjoy the Sunday!

V

danny-79

in short I’ve never tried cross breeding like that so honestly don’t know. Apart from popping both necks and seeing how they line up...... With out sounding offensive if you need any further instructions leave them alone..
If the heal of the neck fits the pocket and the screws line up with out effort go from there on your usual set up method

vaughan

Cross breeding ha-ha! I love it. I have a '79 Sabre Ray (Sabre neck/ Stingray body), too.

I've always wondered if the pointed headstock of the Bongo would compliment the body type of the Big Al. I also prefer the feel of the Bongo neck, but enjoy the passive SSS tone of the Al.

The real deterrent is I don't have a spare Bongo 5 neck kicking around. Reverb has one listed; that's what really got me interested. I'm just not sure what the 2 extra frets on the Bongo neck does to the spacing on Al's pocket.

We shall see! Thanks for chiming in; I appreciate it.

Cheers,
V

Bert

The Bongo body is shorter and the neck 2 frets longer.
The neckplate looks the same, so the neck will technically fit, but with the longer neck and the longer BigAl Body it is no 34" longscale anymore and a good intonation is not possible (probably if you move the bridge or max out the bridge saddles in the direction towards the neck).

vaughan

Thanks, Bert! I appreciate the insight. I was so focused on whether the neck would fit, I didn't take the time to think of possible intonation repercussions.

danny-79

I've always wondered if the pointed headstock of the Bongo would compliment the body type of the Big Al. I also prefer the feel of the Bongo neck

Definitely an interesting concept. Sharp and pointy. Very 80’s.
It’s sounding like it’s not going be an easy job with irreversible consequences. Even if you did get it to fit and work. What’s the colour of BA and what colour is the Bongo neck ? Correct me if I’m wrong but apart from the rosewood necks all Bongos have matching colour necks so with out a refinish...... (getting messier by the second:p)

vaughan

There's a few factors going into this. I've collected way more Big Als than I care to admit over the last 4 years (hint- more than one a year ha-ha). If I only had one or two, I def would not alter them.

Buuuuuuut, I have a BA5H w a Black Body/ Black Pick guard & the neck on Reverb is a Bongo 5 Stealth...So it would be black on black and points on points. If it all worked, it would def look pretty slick.

The only thing that scares me is the notion of the losing the intonation. I measured the distance from the back of the bridge to the start of the neck on both my Als and Bongos.....Al was something like 10 & 3/4"....The Bongo was just shy of 10".

If I do pull the trigger on it & it doesn't work out, worst case scenario- I have an extra Bongo neck laying around.

Kong

Germany, Baden-Württemberg. South Germany, near to
There's a few factors going into this. I've collected way more Big Als than I care to admit over the last 4 years (hint- more than one a year ha-ha). If I only had one or two, I def would not alter them.

Buuuuuuut, I have a BA5H w a Black Body/ Black Pick guard & the neck on Reverb is a Bongo 5 Stealth...So it would be black on black and points on points. If it all worked, it would def look pretty slick.

The only thing that scares me is the notion of the losing the intonation. I measured the distance from the back of the bridge to the start of the neck on both my Als and Bongos.....Al was something like 10 & 3/4"....The Bongo was just shy of 10".

If I do pull the trigger on it & it doesn't work out, worst case scenario- I have an extra Bongo neck laying around.

Please post us some pictures of the creature. It should look amazing.

Mu5icM@n

I would think the taper of the neck plus the extra two frets may make it too wide to fit in the Big Al neck pocket....let us know

Top Bottom