• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tiCreativeMedia

I can NOT for the life of me get a decent sound from this Bongo bass, but I bought it specifically for recording, figuring it would be the most versatile.

there are all kinds of transient harmonic sounds when you are using fingers and I can not seem to find the sweet spot where it will fit in the mix and not have all that extra harmonics in it.

Any pointers or if anyone can point me to some information on getting a good sound for DIRECT recording would be helpful. I'm running through my PRS DI box to Saffire 24 to Cubase 9.5

Maybe there's even a plugin that I can insert that would help?

Thank You!!!
Dave

TherealAC

Depends on what style of music you're playing, personally I cut 250hz and 500hz and boost high end but I'm playing in metal bands. Distortion will also help cut through.

tiCreativeMedia

I write music for Film and TV, so it varies. I do write for Rock, but this particular request was for a "Modern Country" cue.

Depends on what style of music you're playing, personally I cut 250hz and 500hz and boost high end but I'm playing in metal bands. Distortion will also help cut through.

five7

I have an HH also. I leave the lows flat, the low mids I slightly bump, cut high mids, and boost highs. The pickup blend is about 80/20 to 70/30 favoring the bridge pickup. For a plugin I like the fliptop. I play with my fingers.

danny-79

Can’t comment regarding a Bongo but all the direct recording I’ve ever done everything is set flat and worked from the desk. Effects the lot

tiCreativeMedia

@five7... what is the fliptop plugin? I did a search for it and didn't immediately find a plugin with that name?

THANKS! These settings sound like they should work fairly well. I will give it a shot-

I have an HH also. I leave the lows flat, the low mids I slightly bump, cut high mids, and boost highs. The pickup blend is about 80/20 to 70/30 favoring the bridge pickup. For a plugin I like the fliptop. I play with my fingers.

AndyRage

I will be in the studio with my Bongo 5HH tracking my groups next single this next weekend. Hopefully I can get a nasty pop-punk tone out of this thing!

Mu5icM@n

It took me a little while to "get" my first bongo. My usual habit is to eq it like every other bass I have and that didn't work with it. I had to start with everything flat. Then add just a tiny bit of eq on the bass first, then fool with eq on the board if necessary. Basically the thing has a very unusual sound that is already very well eq'd. It responds very well to not doing to much to what comes out of the bass. Unfortunately it took me a long time to figure that out. Hope you can learn it faster than me.

Tom

AndyRage

Btw, ran flat into the board, then reamped. It sounded incredibly tight and bright. I use MJC Ironworks Strings on it.

Edmang

I can NOT for the life of me get a decent sound from this Bongo bass, but I bought it specifically for recording, figuring it would be the most versatile.

there are all kinds of transient harmonic sounds when you are using fingers and I can not seem to find the sweet spot where it will fit in the mix and not have all that extra harmonics in it.

Any pointers or if anyone can point me to some information on getting a good sound for DIRECT recording would be helpful. I'm running through my PRS DI box to Saffire 24 to Cubase 9.5

Maybe there's even a plugin that I can insert that would help?

Thank You!!!
Dave

Did you find a setting that worked for you?

Meypelnek

Actually this thread surprises me. I have no problem dialing in a good tone with my Bongo HH. It is if course neither a jazz or P Bass.

Karl

Blues......Neck Pickup only, All EQ controls flat.
Funk.......Bridge Pickup 75%, Neck Pickup 25%, Treble 30%, Bass 50%, Low Mid 50%, High Mid 50%.
Slap......Bridge Pickup 50%, Neck Pickup 50%, Treble 75%, Bass 60%, Low Mid 50%, High Mid 50%.
Jazz......Bridge Pickup 75%, Neck Pickup 25%, Treble 30%, Bass 50%, Low Mid 50%, High Mid 50%.
Samba......Bridge Pickup 50%, Neck Pickup 50%, All EQ controls flat.
Rock with Pick......Bridge Pickup 50%, Neck Pickup 50%, All EQ controls flat.
Metal......Bridge Pickup 50%, Neck Pickup 50%, Treble 75%, Bass 60%, Low Mid 50%, High Mid 50%.
Soloing......Bridge Pickup 75%, Neck Pickup 25%, Treble 30%, Bass 50%, Low Mid 50%, High Mid 50%.

Top Bottom