• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steveh

So, I have a bridge humbucker from an Axis that I am going to try in my Cutlass; I love the Axis bridge PU in anything - best bridge out there.

My Cutlass is SSS so I'm making up a HSS scratchplate and Suhr were gracious enough to send me details of their HSS setup using a superswitch that I'm going to use.

My question is this - both Axis PU and Suhr Humbuckers use red, white, black, green but do they represent the same coils? As far as I understand it, there's no common convention regarding this so that if I simply follow the Suhr wiring diagram with my Axis PU, I might not be doing it right?

Thanks for any help you can give guys,

Steve

beej

The Axis humbucker is Dimarzio - different colour scheme. You’ll have to adjust the diagram to use different colours.

steveh

Google "humbucker color codes".

Seriously helpful - thanks Gentlemen!
So, as far as I can tell, the DiMarzio and Suhr schemes are pretty different. Lots of potential for complete screw-ups here.
Forewarned is forearmed...

Chaka5150

It shouldn't be too hard. I once put Suhr pickups in my Axis. Not sure if i still have the notes for matching up the color coding but will take a look. I'll post here with that info if i find it...

steveh

OK - So back with another supid question after finding some time to do this wiring (work getting in the way!):

Standard single coils have 2 wires, hot and ground, but the Cutlass have three: hot, ground, and shield.
I assume that's necessary for the silent circuit or EBMM being extra careful to reduce extranneous noise?

So, if I am using them in a HSS configuration without the silent circuit, can I simply join ground and shield and send both to ground (i.e. on the vol pot casing)? That's what I'm planning to do but thought it best to check first in case there's something I'm missing? Wouldn't be the first time I've done something stupid. Thanks again!

beej

That's right. In the MM config, shield is grounded and the pickup ground is connected to the Silent Circuit. If you're not going to use the SC, then just wire shield and ground to ground.

steveh

That's right. In the MM config, shield is grounded and the pickup ground is connected to the Silent Circuit. If you're not going to use the SC, then just wire shield and ground to ground.

Thanks so much Beej - I was afraid I might cause some sort of ground loop or something.
Will wire up this coming weekend.

Top Bottom