• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

royb3988

Hello from a new member!

Is there a way to modify my Luke III HSS, a potentiometer change perhaps...that will take the battery out of the circuit when I am not playing the guitar? Currently I have to unplug the guitar cord...no big deal...but I often forget to do so. Maybe a pot that when turned all the way counter clockwise has an "off" position?? I would even consider removing the boost circuit entirely...I rarely use it...if the mod can be easily reversed in case I decide to do so.

Thanks,

Royb3988

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

The active electronics are responsible for more than just the boost function. It also is what makes the different pickup positions all be the same volume by boosting 2 and 4.

Like many people who have owned active basses and guitars for decades, the easiest thing is to learn to unplug the guitar when you're done.

royb3988

Tbone...
Yes, I understand your information...but I would want a switch or switch mod to take the battery out of the circuit when I finish playing. Example: a volume pot, when turned all the way counter clockwise, that would merely turn the circuit "off" and saving the battery but leaving the circuit active at any volume level above the off position.

Thanks,

Royb3988

guertzi

Tbone...
Yes, I understand your information...but I would want a switch or switch mod to take the battery out of the circuit when I finish playing. Example: a volume pot, when turned all the way counter clockwise, that would merely turn the circuit "off" and saving the battery but leaving the circuit active at any volume level above the off position.

Thanks,

Royb3988

I am pretty sure that you can replace the tone pot with push/pull pot that would do the trick.
But what I really fail to grasp is: you say that you forget to unplug your cable after you have finished playing.

What makes you sure you will remember to switch off the battery?

royb3988

Excellent question Guertzi...Over the last 65 years, any time I conclude playing I roll back the volume control on my guitars.

I think, though I do not know to a certainty, that in doing so I will simply roll the control back to hear, or sense, the "click".

Thanks for your reply.

Royb3988

Last edited:

beej

There are lots of way to wire up a switch. But I also think it would be better to spend your effort and learn to unplug it.

There have been plenty of threads here over the years involving kids/dogs/tripping over cables have have resulted in damaged guitars ...

TripHazard

I think any competent guitar tech could achieve what you are after - best to pop along to a well respected guitar store of find a private guitar tech and talk it through with them

Top Bottom