• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steveh

So, I am a long time EBMM fan; the longest I've owned a guitar is my EBMM EVH (which kicked off my EBMM love). Hoever, time passes and I no longer play much electric - I spend my time on steel-string and, increasingly, nylon. So I decided I just needed ONE electric to rule them all. IMHO the HSS Cutlass is it; a fabulously made, Swiss-army knife of a guitar. I bought a coral one last year only to have the RS series arrive shortly after: I had to have one of those.

Also, I have a "thing" for seafoam green after seeing a brand new batch of Charvel Spectrums arrive in Rose Morris in Denmark Street, London, back in the 80s - I had never seen anything so beautiful.

So, given that this is to be my sole electric, I decided to go crazy. As I love both coral and seafoam I swapped the bodies, got Rich Rendall in the UK to then do a seafoam over coral relic job. I also put an Axis HB in the bridge as that's the best bridge sound I've ever heard. Thanks to Knuckleheads for help with wiring it up (on another thread).

So, how did it work out? Well, I love it! I know that the majority of people viewing will think me crazy, and I've certainly destroyed any resale value, but this isn't getting sold. It's a veritable do-it-all modern supers**at that sounds great, feels great, and looks just the way I want it to. What's not to love? I thought you guys might like to see it, given this is the place for all sorts of EBMM madness, although I don't expect anyone else to love it - although anyone who doesn't think that RS neck is amazing is crazy.

45220768815_4c183d1360_c.jpg

45220770025_cd933f2845_c.jpg

So, my other electrics are on the block. TBH, I think my EVH has just a hair more agression and definition (it's a touch brighter...and decades old) but that's maple over basswood. The Axis HB in the Cutlass is a bit more midrangy but gets very close. And I have those lovely single coil sounds. Bliss.

Last edited:

Astrofreq

I absolutely love it! I may have to hit that guy up! I’ve been looking at an Xotic with this sort of paint job, but I’d much rather it be a Cutlass.

May I ask how much the paint job was? You can PM me if you want.

Fro

Looks great and certainly one of a kind.

steveh

I absolutely love it! I may have to hit that guy up! I’ve been looking at an Xotic with this sort of paint job, but I’d much rather it be a Cutlass. May I ask how much the paint job was? You can PM me if you want.

Thanks! I didn't really expect others to like it. Just wanted to encourage others to go for their own particular fetish.

The price was very, very good (cheap actually), but I'm in the UK and the chap is in Cardiff so it won't work out for you if you're in the US.

Name is Richard Rendall - Guitar Resurrection - Home | Facebook
He's heavily recommended on the UK Fretboard site and I have to say he was a delight to work with - very good comms and very responsive. He took great care over the job.

In particular he explained that, like most guitars post-CBS, the Cutlass has a "Fullerplast" type sealer over the wood, and a decision has to be taken to remove this or not. I decided not to (as this would have lost the Coral Red that I love almost as much as Seafoam), but at the expense of the more "authentic" relic look. In the end it worked out fine, especially once the hardware was on.

GWDavis28

Wow looks great, I'm not usually a relic guy myself, but the 2 colors really work well.

Glenn |B)

dibart77

Wow. I tell you what, Steve. I am totally 100% not a relic guy. And I want one just like this. Damn. Really, really cool! Only thing I would do is swap the single coil covers to cream so it matches the bridge (and the pickups appear like white that has aged to cream). Maybe knobs, too.

Wow. I am loving this!

ieso

what's not to love? That's a great looking guitar. congrats

Astrofreq

If I can find a Cutlass with gold hardware and a roasted maple neck, I'll totally do that conversion but with some different colors. I absolutely love what you did.

Top Bottom