• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Legend4454

I have a Valentine BFR, & 2 Luke 3 BFRs, an HH & a HSS. I have no idea what the trim pot adjustments do. These are all new, so I don't want to attempt tweaking anything without some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

RichieZ

Regarding the Valentine... I had posted this previously, but hope it can be helpful:
The trim pot under the back panel labeled "BST" controls the amount of boost. I keep mine about halfway. Max is 20db but I believe they come from the factory set to 11db.
I'm under the impression that the one labeled "COM" controls the balance of volume between the single/humbucker/combined positions, but mine is well balanced so I never messed with it.
The two other pots control the silent circuit for the bridge"B" and the split neck(there's an "N" you can't see in the pic) pickups, respectively.

IMG_0175.jpg

tbonesullivan

There should be two trim pots for the Luke III. One is the volume compensation for positions 2 and 4, the NOTCH positions. The second controls how powerful the boost function is.

Alexwiriana5a

Regarding the Valentine... I had posted this previously, but hope it can be helpful:
The trim pot under the back panel labeled "BST" controls the amount of boost. I keep mine about halfway. Max is 20db but I believe they come from the factory set to 11db.
I'm under the impression that the one labeled "COM" controls the balance of volume between the single/humbucker/combined positions, but mine is well balanced so I never messed with it.
The two other pots control the silent circuit for the bridge"B" and the split neck(there's an "N" you can't see in the pic) pickups, respectively.

View attachment 34554

Hi RichieZ,

Thanks for your explanation and image... just bought valentine recently and the batt casing is not working so i experienced a sudden death while im playin 😭

I go to trusted local service, but he tries something that make my valentine setting is diffrent, my boost is not really boost and my single coil is now louder when i tap. Im gonna try to use the same setting as your image

Stuart

View attachment 34554

One small correction...the COM trim adjusts the level for the neck humbucker when split. So you can balance the split coil sound with the full HB sound or even make the split coil sound louder (cool function). The other trim pot functions are correct.

Masterpass23

One small correction...the COM trim adjusts the level for the neck humbucker when split. So you can balance the split coil sound with the full HB sound or even make the split coil sound louder (cool function). The other trim pot functions are correct.

I have a valentine guitar but whenever i use the push push to split coil it sound the same as if it wouldnt change or make the split, does anyone knows why is happening this?

I have the pic of my wiring conf

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 216

beej

Can't really tell anything from the photo. Are you sure it's not splitting? With a clean sound, you should hear a difference. With gain, it would be harder to tell.

jones4tone

I have a valentine guitar but whenever i use the push push to split coil it sound the same as if it wouldnt change or make the split, does anyone knows why is happening this?

I have the pic of my wiring conf

You can adjust the COM pot, as mentioned, but I would recommend having a multimeter to check and record the resistance before you adjust it. If you email customer service with your serial number, they can send you the wiring diagram and the specs they use in the factory for setting those internal trim pots, and you can adjust from there to taste. The spec sheet also indicates what two points to use when measuring the resistance. (A tiny move of the pot will change the split sound.)

I had two Valentines at the same time, and they sounded pretty different from one another in the split position, for whatever reason.

Viv

Does anyone have the Trim Pot settings for my EBMM Albert Lee SSS .. also would a wrong setting cause loss of volume gain.

beej

There isn't a specific setting. You adjust the trimpot until the noise is reduced enough for your liking- there's a sweet spot where it's low, and noiser in either direction from there.

No, a wrong setting won't affect anything except for the hum level.

Top Bottom