• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bbjonz

Well, my EBMM journey took me from a Cutlass (lent to a friend, not likely to get it back), the ASS, the Silo, and now the Reflex. The Silo is my fave--puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up. The Reflex is interesting. I'd read how the neck was different from other EBMM profiles but I was somewhat surprised at how big and "traditional" it is. Way different from the ASS. The seller had .008s on it, which were really seductive in terms of playability but way too thin sounding. All was right after I put Slinkies on it. The pickup selections provide everything from Tele to 335 (the chambering helps) and it feels really nice. The forearm contour is the ticket--easier on my right forearm compared to the ASS.

More evaluating to do!

Joe

IMG_5011.jpg

Fro

Nice! Congrats. I had my eye on that one myself.

bbjonz

Nice! Congrats. I had my eye on that one myself.

I can see why. I’d love to find a sunburst/rosewood/hard tail version, or a Venetian Red 25th Anniversary with hardtail. If/when either of those show up I’ll likely move the Blue one.

banjoplayer

refelx is such an underrated great guitar.
I wonder that you call the neck big...mine ist rather average... a bit sporty

bbjonz

I wonder that you call the neck big...mine ist rather average... a bit sporty

It’s actually comparable in width to my Silo but is really quite deep. Very much l like a ‘66 Tele I have (that I don’t play much)—that’s why I said traditional. IIRC, the Reflex neck doesn’t have the asymmetrical cut of the ASS, and I really kind of like that type of cut.

If I could design a guitar, it would be chambered like the Reflex and with the forearm contour, but with an ASS neck carve and body size. So far I can do without the series/parallel switch—I just keep it on the latter. Might be that an ASS semi-hollow (hardtail) is in my future.

bbjonz

That is a great guitar!! I owned it previously. I got it from the original owner last year sometime. He won it in a Music Man giveaway.

Interesting! I do like it but kind of prefer the smaller body and neck profile of the Axis Super Sport.

Top Bottom