• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mouth

I was just wondering, when did EBMM start using the oil & wax finish on their Stingray necks? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. It's mostly for the curiosity sake I'm asking, and was wondering if Flea's black 3 band Stingray that he used in the "Master Session" with Phoenix River is lacquered or oil&wax finished. I think I only found 90s used Stingrays online that were always lacquer finished.

Anyways, I just got a great 2010 2 band Stingray with the oil & wax finish, and it's nice as heck, but I'm adding a bit more protection - 8 thin coats of BC Gun Stock Tru Oil, and will end with 2 coats of BC Gun Stock Wax. Kind of more like BC intended the Tru Oil to be used (several thin coats that are left to dry). I know EBMM just put the oil for like 15 seconds, wipe off, put on the wax and buff, wipe off. It feels great, if you want that "almost bare" neck feel. I'm just about to put the 8th coat (I do 2 coats a day). It looks great, has a great sheen already and feels nice when it dries. This is my first oil & wax Stingray, my previous ones were lacquered (USA SUB & BFR Stingray Black Sugar).

Anyways, would love to know when they introduced this neck finish specifically on Stingray basses. Thanks!

mouth

I have great difficulty playing anything other than an oil and wax finished neck

They feel great! I did add extra protection with 8 coats of Tru Oil and 2 coats of Gun Stock Wax, but it still has that great smooth feel. Tru Oil is very easy to work with, and the results are great.

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 164

danny-79

They feel great! I did add extra protection with 8 coats of Tru Oil and 2 coats of Gun Stock Wax, but it still has that great smooth feel. Tru Oil is very easy to work with, and the results are great.

Only ever re oiled and waxed once, easy job, wipe the oil on after wirewooling (keeping pickups well covered remove neck if need be) wipe on, wipe off, wax and buff.

I’ve given my other basses that had lacquered finishes the same treatment. Can’t play a lacquered neck. Shame really with all the beautiful figured necks on offer

tbonesullivan

Tru-oil is technically a finish, so you can build up quite a few layers if you want. Just be careful as it'll eventually become like a finished neck.

mouth

Tru-oil is technically a finish, so you can build up quite a few layers if you want. Just be careful as it'll eventually become like a finished neck.

Yup, Tru Oil is a varnish. I wanted a bit more protection on my neck, which is why I built up 8 coats (2 per day max + sanding every 3 or 4 coats), let it sit and dry for almost a week after the last coat, before adding 2 coats of wax. Man it feels great. It's still not a thick coat by any means, still feels fast and smooth, but the maple won't get dirty at all now, and I believe it makes the neck more stable.

Top Bottom