• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nervous

1997 Axis Sport & Refinish

Hi all, I recently received this beauty. 1997 Axis Sport. Had eyed it for a while and finally bought at a price I was agreeable to. Ever since I saw Mr. Castellano's video on his Red Special homage project I have been on the lookout and this one is just about perfect. The neck and frets are in amazing condition, not even factoring age, very little signs of wear. Setup and playability and excellent. The only issues are cosmetic where someone either tried a little home relic-ing or it's honest hard use but there are several significant finish nicks and dings through to the wood as well as some wear along the top edges as seen in the pics. I have some thoughts on addressing those and welcome ideas as well. Original electronics are long gone and it's set up in Tele form. Fixed bridge, no trem. I am thinking SSS or HSS and can get a couple PG to test those ideas. Or pick up a set of Burns Brian May pickups and stick with my original plan. Original config was HSS but can anyone tell me why it would have had a battery box?

97AS_LRG (1).jpg

97AS_LRG (2).jpg

97AS_LRG (3).jpg

97AS_LRG (8).jpg

97AS_LRG (6).jpg

Last edited:

GWDavis28

The battery box was for the silent circuit, meaning it was probably SSS or SSH pickup configuration.

Nice snag at an awesome price!!!!!!!

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

Beej, he said it was gutted. I'd take it that the silent circuit is gone.

Can't hurt to call CS and see if they'll sell you a pickguard assembly with the silent circuit if you wanted to go that route.

Glenn |B)

nervous

Thanks all. I thought it might have been for a piezo circuit but don't think I'll miss the quiet circuit.

I just ordered a couple new I drilled PG from Chandler, SSS and HSS. Was originally HSS but I like options. Does anyone know if that's a standard strat sized, five-way switch, holes align?

At some point down the road I'd like to attempt to repair that top damage. I have a couple thoughts. Full sparkle repaint. Top sand and respray. Or, go big and have a quarter inch milled off the top, glue on some figured loveliness, maybe some binding, and ready clear coat.

Or leave it cheap and play it. ��

Last edited:

nervous

Yeah, that was the original intention and being red already was just a bonus. I have an SSS pickguard coming so that's an easy possibility using the Burns Tri Sonic Strat sized version. Or open those PG holes up for the full sized version.

Also mulling the best HSS pickup set to best replicate the long gone originals.

vuduhwy

Thanks all. I thought it might have been for a piezo circuit but don't think I'll miss the quiet circuit.

I just ordered a couple new I drilled PG from Chandler, SSS and HSS. Was originally HSS but I like options. Does anyone know if that's a standard strat sized, five-way switch, holes align?

At some point down the road I'd like to attempt to repair that top damage. I have a couple thoughts. Full sparkle repaint. Top sand and respray. Or, go big and have a quarter inch milled off the top, glue on some figured loveliness, maybe some binding, and ready clear coat.

Or leave it cheap and play it. ��

Leave it cheap and play it. Save the money you would've spent doing all that and put it towards another one!

wesman11483

NOOOO!!!!!
lol I was the $500 bid for like six days. Then had a meeting when it ended!
Enjoy man.

nervous

So sorry. I do feel bad. I had been negotiating with the seller from his first listing and he just wouldn't get to where I was comfortable, especially since I had additional plans and expense for it. I think this was the fourth relist that had it at the price you state so it was game on. My apologies for the snipe.

xjbebop

Sweet! Personally I dig the Tele style... would maybe change the pups and controls to my liking (like I did on my AL tele...)
However, do what you need to make it yours! Enjoy!

wesman11483

So sorry. I do feel bad. I had been negotiating with the seller from his first listing and he just wouldn't get to where I was comfortable, especially since I had additional plans and expense for it. I think this was the fourth relist that had it at the price you state so it was game on. My apologies for the snipe.

Lol no worries man. Enjoy...and be sure to post pics if you un-tele it!!
There's another one on the 'verb...Super Sport with Sport neck and (i assume) aftermarket TV Jones pups...can't quite get to amicable terms considering all of the above.
The quest continues!

nervous

Lol no worries man. Enjoy...and be sure to post pics if you un-tele it!!
There's another one on the 'verb...Super Sport with Sport neck and (i assume) aftermarket TV Jones pups...can't quite get to amicable terms considering all of the above.
The quest continues!

If it's the gray one that looks like it might be the correct neck and body combo. The listing offers no info on age, pickups, anything and that price seems more than a tad high to me. Funny though, I now have an Axis set up as a Tele, and a Tele (Cabronita) set up with TV Jones like the Axis you're watching. I like the TV Jones pickups and they work great in the Cab. But that Tele sees no use now and will see less with two Axis on hand. Might need a new home for that one...

nervous

Quick update on the refinish. Looks like it finally made it through repair, sealer and primer! Maybe start seeing color soon.

Before
IMG_2722.jpg

Today
Primed 5.24.19.jpg

GWDavis28

Wow, nice, what color will the end project be or will this be a forumite torture?

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom