• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daneford

A few questions:

I was curious, when did EBMM make the switch from gotoh to in house for their Floyd's?

What are the differences? I spoke with customer service and was told that the posts are different now, smaller. Any other differences?

Any ideas where to find the old posts if I need to replace them?

Were the floyd and associated parts on the silo and the axis the same?

dibart77

A few questions:

I was curious, when did EBMM make the switch from gotoh to in house for their Floyd's?

EBMM made the switch right around the time they were building the Axis Tributes in 2011. I'd say that's around September 2011.

What are the differences? I spoke with customer service and was told that the posts are different now, smaller. Any other differences?

Well, generally speaking all the parts are different. It's a different trem manufactured by a different company. No parts are interchangeable (except maybe the rear springs, the nut pads and hex screws, and maybe the little black saddle block squares). The main noticeable differences are (1) the tremolo bar pops in rather than being permanently affixed; (2) the fine tuners on the new trem are "thinner" than the ones on the Gotoh trem (I way prefer the Gotoh fine tuners because there's more "meat" to grab and they're more rounded so they are easier on your hand when you bang them; (3) the trem posts are now chrome instead of black and seem to be a bit smaller / less substantial. Everything else is a little different but basically the same (no functional difference).

Any ideas where to find the old posts if I need to replace them?

I'd call EBMM Customer Service -- they can either sell you the parts or tell you where to get them. I can't find anyone who sells them. Looks like the Gotoh 1996 now comes with locking posts that use a threaded bushing.

Were the floyd and associated parts on the silo and the axis the same?

Yes. When EBMM was using the Gotoh Floyd, any EBMM with a Floyd used that Floyd, posts, etc. When EBMM switched to the new Floyd, any EBMM with a Floyd gets the new Floyd -- EXCEPT one with a Gold Floyd. If EBMM makes any guitar today with a Gold Floyd (super rare one-offs, mainly), it's a NOS Gotoh EBMM Floyd.

daneford

EBMM made the switch right around the time they were building the Axis Tributes in 2011. I'd say that's around September 2011.

Well, generally speaking all the parts are different. It's a different trem manufactured by a different company. No parts are interchangeable (except maybe the rear springs, the nut pads and hex screws, and maybe the little black saddle block squares). The main noticeable differences are (1) the tremolo bar pops in rather than being permanently affixed; (2) the fine tuners on the new trem are "thinner" than the ones on the Gotoh trem (I way prefer the Gotoh fine tuners because there's more "meat" to grab and they're more rounded so they are easier on your hand when you bang them; (3) the trem posts are now chrome instead of black and seem to be a bit smaller / less substantial. Everything else is a little different but basically the same (no functional difference).

I'd call EBMM Customer Service -- they can either sell you the parts or tell you where to get them. I can't find anyone who sells them. Looks like the Gotoh 1996 now comes with locking posts that use a threaded bushing.

I talked to customer service, and they don't know. They're willing to retrofit the new one, but it's not cheap.

Yes. When EBMM was using the Gotoh Floyd, any EBMM with a Floyd used that Floyd, posts, etc. When EBMM switched to the new Floyd, any EBMM with a Floyd gets the new Floyd -- EXCEPT one with a Gold Floyd. If EBMM makes any guitar today with a Gold Floyd (super rare one-offs, mainly), it's a NOS Gotoh EBMM Floyd.

I appreciate the reply!

jfb44

I swapped out the Ernie Ball Floyd for a Gotoh on my Tribute with no issues.
ao9bhi.jpg

As for replacement posts/studs, you can probably get them from a hardware
store. Make sure you now the the stud dimensions/specs, e.g. length, threads
per inch (TPI).

Top Bottom