• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Thors Twins

Merry Christmas Folks,

have done search on this forum site regarding the subj. When playing the guitar on the amp's lead channel, you can hear a resonance/feedback noise building up, doesnt matter whether in front/behind/near/far from the amp. I mitigate it by rolling back the vol and tone knobs a bit.

The guitar body is chambered, but dont believe this to be characteristic. Search results vary with suggestions like fitting foam in/around trem springs, foam under the pickups, etc. I'd like to think such a well designed and built instrument wouldn't have these issues. In one of the searches, someone asked if a guitar was fitted with Elixir coated strings - in my case it is (previous owner) and i havent changed them because they play and sound very nice.

Open to your suggestions, feedback, advise on this one - thnx in advance!

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Greetings, sounds like there's an issue for sure. I’m assuming you’ve tried the obvious:

1. Does that happen when you swap the cable?
2. Does that happen in other amps?
3. Does that feedback only happen with that guitar into that amp?

Those are the easy checks. Have you opened up the guitar to see if there are any loose wires? That’s probably what I would do next. Jiggle wires a bit to see if you hear any change.

Last edited:

Thors Twins

RR, thnx for your reply

1. Does that happen when you swap the cable? - yes
2. Does that happen in other amps? - yes
3. Does that feedback only happen with that guitar into that amp? - have 2 amps, happens w/ both

Those are the easy checks. Have you opened up the guitar to see if there are any loose wires? That’s probably what I would do next. Jiggle wires a bit to see if you hear any change - will do this next!

click track

I would be interested with your findings, as this happened to me twice playing live / However the part I was playing had some layered reverb / delay and the Prince of Tone boost, (quite boosted). I stack my OD pedals and maybe I had 2 running as well / not sure. I just figured that the more hollow body characteristics where coming through at that point. l lowered the volume pedal and waited for it to subside and carried on, I also use my volume and tone controls on the guitar quite a bit playing live, so that is why i suspect it only happened twice and not a regular occurrence.

PS this guitar is fantastic in every way and is now my go to EBMM / this guitar feels and plays like a hollow body without the standard cut outs.

Last edited:

beej

Feedback is usually a resonance issue with the guitar, or a microphonic pickup. (Made worse by waaay too much gain/volume!)

Does this happen with both pickups? Or just one?

BUC

I have two reflex's and I've never noticed that either one feeds back problematically compared to my other electrics. Possible you have a pickup issue? Is it specific to a pickup or series/parallel setting on the guitar?

Thors Twins

Ok Folks, thanks for all your input. Think we found the problem!

just finished troubleshooting
1. wiring is intact, input jack is tight
2. happens with both amps on lead channels with gain, with and without effects in front of amp or in the loop
3. moved selector switch, all have feedback except for the neck position alone - any combination with bridge pickup makes feedback so it is the Bridge pickup. When i place my finger on it the feedback stops.

Presumably this means the pick up is microphonic - uncertain if that equates to the pickup being NFG. I lowered the pickup height and it made no difference. Both pickups are covered, uncertain if that makes a difference. Can the covers be easily removed or are these sealed? Is the pickup simply vibrating within its cavity and needs dampening?

beej

They can be removed, but not so easily. But even if you did, I'm not sure if that would help you. (Unless you were going to re-pot it.)

Give customer service a shout (link in my sig). You might be best to just replace the bridge pickup ... if you send them the old one they'll sell you a new one.

Thors Twins

Following up:

Removed the pickup and the chrome cover solder points to the humbucker body are broken >> microphonics!

Contacted Dimarzio - they will repair the pickup.

thanks to all for your verty helpful input and guidance!

Top Bottom