• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GregP

I wanted to post a new thread to create a space for us to express our appreciation for these wonderful instruments and tell our stories related to them.

I picked up my Cutlass a few weeks ago at a local GC. I saw this diamond blue Cutlass just hanging on the rack for a ridiculous price of $1099! Now full disclosure, I have never liked the tone of 1 pickup split coil basses. All of the variants of this type of configuration have always sounded very thin in the treble and lacking real "hit you in the gut" bass to me. They have always had what I can only describe as a "hollow" tone. But I mean this is an EBMM so I go ahead and pull it down ;-)

Wow, I just couldn't bring myself to put it back up. The highs were crisp, the lows were indeed of the "gut punch" variety. But all in all it just sounded clear and crisp.

Having owned a Caprice before, the difference in the split coil's voicing was immediately noticeable. Where the Caprice's split coil sounds like it has a bit of a mid scoop ....the split coil in the Cutlass is VERY mid forward :) I'm never getting buried in the mix with this bass :) Oh and this bass is super light and well balanced too =)

So I just wanted to to say thank you to the Ball Family for bringing us these wonderful instruments.

-Greg P

P.S. Yes...those are Group III flats =)
45614673795_f190c20614_k.jpg

Last edited:

coyoteboy

I concur with the op. Once I get the nut height fixed on my Cutlass (Black of course) it shall be buttery. What’s with EBMM nuts anyway? Second one I’ve had to fix for playability.

mmbassplayer

All... check my sig, I created something similar on the Facebook. While we mostly just make fun of Jack, we do occasionally talk about basses.

mmbassplayer

897EB90E-D661-499B-B549-E426BE88F432.jpg And just a note for all... if you do see that unicorn Caprice at a Guitar Center, here is what you should be able to get it for.

bovinehost

Administrator
All... check my sig, I created something similar on the Facebook. While we mostly just make fun of Jack, we do occasionally talk about basses.

It's true. And I don't even mind.

I've been using both my Cutlass and my Caprice a lot since getting them. I used only the Cutlass on the upcoming coWpilot live album and my Caprice has been getting a lot of attention here at the Scream Parlour, recording my solo stuff.

If you're DFW local, we'll be playing at Witherspoon's Distillery on January 5th in the evening and I might even be playing Music Man basses the entire time. (Like I'd play anything else.)

brash47

Got my Caprice a few months back for the 1199 price, it was quickly followed by the Cutlass for 1099.

I feel like I have been able to get 2 unique basses that will later be looked back on as something everyone should have gotten.....

Brash

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom