• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mordimer

Hi guys!
Prodigy picks are out on the market for a while now, but they've been available for about 2 months where I live. I was a long time 2.0mm Dunlop Jazz III user and few years ago I switched completely to Fellow Plectrums Gorilla Grip picks - I like them and hadn't even thought about trying other picks until I saw that Prodigy are made of the same material (Derlin). That a beveled edge seemed very interesting…
IMG_0567.jpeg
IMG_0565.jpeg

So, as soon as they were available I ordered 2 packs of MINI to try them :) Thoughts? 1.5 mm may be useful sometimes, but is not my favourite. But I really dig the 2.0mm version!
Here's a little video I made comparing 1.5mm and 2.0mm versions of Fellow Plectrums Gorilla Grip SM and Ernie Ball Prodigy MINI. (It's in Polish, but I added CC:)

What are your thoughts on these new EB picks?

peterd79

I just got a dozen of the 1.5 mini's and so far I'm really enjoying them. I've been using the Dunlop PrimeTone picks for a few years now; however, the prodigy is pretty good.

spychocyco

I'm still on the fence. I bought a bag of the 2.0 minis, and I swap between them, Ultex Jazz III 2.0s and GraphTech Tusq 1.4s. Each have their advantages and disadvantages, and I'm not 100 percent happy with any of them. I think the Prodigys improve my technique a little. The shape of them makes me focus on playing with only the very tip of the pick. On the downside, they're a little slippery at first. Until I break them in a bit, they tend to slide when picking fast or hard. I like them a lot, but my quest for the perfect pick is not over yet. :D

xjbebop

I've been totally spoiled on these 3 point symmetrical picks for years now.
If EBMM would make a copy of these, I'd totally try them! ;););)

71VFWkPnCuL._SY450_.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
So, I tried one for a while but the tip is a little pointy for my liking, I was never a big fan of defrin, and I prefer the tone of my little cellluloid 358s (small teardrop), which I've been using for so long that anything else sounds and feels weird.

Anywant a bag of 6 x 1.5 mm prodigy picks (one of which is lightly used by the handsome and careful previous owner)? First to PM me their address gets 'em!

Fro

I just bought a pack of 1.5 (a few days to early it seems) but I haven’t tried one yet.

Mordimer

the tip is a little pointy for my liking
I got the same feelings with 1.5mm. The thicker ones are not so pointy, but still more pointy than Ultex Jazz III.
Recently I was playing some fast riffs with alternate picking and they sounded pretty dirty and I couldn't make them sound clean and tight. I used Prodigy mini 2.0mm. Everything worked great hen I switched to my old picks (Fellow Plectrums). Can't tell if it's a matter of the shape or I'm just used to the picks I've been using for years.

gmontgomery

I'd love to try them & will p/u some the next time I go to a music store. I usually use Jazz II or III; I like Max Grip version when I can find it as I tend to drop them when my hands get sweaty.
It looks like the MM Prodigy pics may get slippers when wet, but I have a little violin rosin (helps a great deal on the Jazz IIs but makes switching to finger picking difficult) that should cure that IF it's actually a concern.

Thanks for the tip!

msmith40

I love these picks!
Been using the 2mm mini for a few months now....they're really great picks.

Anyone know what the bevel/angle is on these picks?

Thanks!

Top Bottom